VMware Communities
LikeVMW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My VMware Workstation 15 Pro crashes my host!

Greetings,

I have a Windows 10 Insider Preview 20H1. Every time when I try to boot my Windows or Ubuntu virtual machine, my host crashes with a GSOD (Green Screen Of Death).

Minidump files information: (scanned with WhoCrashed software)

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3C32A0) 

Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0x258D2A9165D, 0x3, 0xFFFFF80667DD5F40, 0xF)

Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

Shortly, NT OS Kernel (the kernel of the Operating System) may crash the os. WhoCrashed says that problem is in a driver, but I don't know what driver.

Somebody, please help me.

See ya,

LikeVMW.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sotirisdim4
Contributor
Contributor

While not exactly what is going on in the upcoming 19h1 build (which for all intents and purposes is still an insider release as it's not released outside release preview ring yet), it does make me realize it's a problem with the kernel. In 19h1 VMs just lock up when trying to launch or copy files if they do manage to launch, but they didn't go as far as BSOD'ing the host. At least this gives me a better insight into the issue and made me realize it's actually a problem with the kernel. This explains why games with anti cheat software are also affected like this. Changes were made in the Windows kernel that unfortunately broke stuff. Anyway, as long as the issue on 20h1 is practically the same as 19h1, it's already been fixed internally, and we simply need to wait for the update to be made public, as noted here ​and here

0 Kudos
LikeVMW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some trange thing happened yesterday. Somehow my problem was solved WITHOUT an update, but I don't know how... Anyways, if I find the solution to that what happened yesterday, I'll make a comment and make this question solved

0 Kudos