VMware Communities
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

Multiply VM sharing CD rom

For our development network, we would like to load multiple virtual machine workstations on "one" physical box. If I have 3 VMworkstations loaded on "one" physical pc, can all three vm share the same physical CD rom player? If so, what must be done, if anything, for all three VM to be able to access it? Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

In that situation create ISO repository of your CD's (dedicated folder on host drive) and use ISO's exclusively.

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Peter_VM for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by ISO repository and how to use ISO's exclusively. Can you lay out some instruction on how to do this. I am new to WM workstation. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

For every CD that I use in virtual environment, I create ISO first.

There are many ways, tools, to do that: Nero, PowerISO, WinImage,.....

Then I put all of those ISO's in my host D:\ISOs. This is my ISO "repository".

Whenever virtual machine needs to use CD-ROM, I point it to appropriate ISO file (Connection option) and put checkmark on "Connected".

I do not leave any of my guests pointing to a physical host CD-ROM drive. That is what I meant by "exclusively".

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

I am still confused, -- Does this mean for every new material (cd data) I place in my CD ROM I will need to create a new ISO and then copy it to a shared folder on a shared drive? For testing purposes, can all 3 VMware workstations on the same physical box use the same CD ROM drive? Or does the first one creates a lockfile on the drive?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I am still confused, -- Does this mean for every new material (cd data) I place in my CD ROM I will need to create a new ISO and then copy it to a shared folder on a shared drive?

That is the best practise.

For testing purposes, can all 3 VMware workstations on the same physical box use the same CD ROM drive? Or does the first one creates a lockfile on the drive?

One at a time. And using physical CD-ROM drive can cause serious performance problems too.

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Peter,

Just to clarify, each VM workstation which accesses the CD rom will create a lockfile; therefore, only "one" Virtual Machine can access the CD ROM at a time? Are there any steps the VM workstation must do to release the lockfile so the next VM workstation can access it? Thank again for your help!!

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks Peter,

Just to clarify, each VM workstation which accesses the CD rom will create a lockfile; therefore, only "one" Virtual Machine can access the CD ROM at a time?

I'm not sure if this is done on a "lockfile" principle. It could be something else (registry, or else).

Are there any steps the VM workstation must do to release the lockfile so the next VM workstation can access it? Thank again for your help!!

I'm not aware of exact mechanism of releasing physical CD-ROM device. I use ISO's instead.

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

After some thought, using an ISO image will not benefit my company's mission. We will be using the CD ROM to ingest data (lots of it) into our database. We would like to have multiple Virtual Machines loaded on "one" platform and load data from the physical CD one at time. To release the CD ROM will I need to shut down the Virtual Machine so the next machine can access it. What is the mechanism to release teh CD ROM? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What is the mechanism to release teh CD ROM?

Right-click on the CD-ROM icon in the status bar of Workstation with the particular guest in view, and select "Disconnect". Switch the tab to a different guest, right-click the CD-ROM icon and select "Connect".

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you RDPetruska! Should be good to go now.

0 Kudos
boomer2
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMWare Server to run my 3 test VMWare workstations. It seems that VMWare Server allow multiple access of the CD ROM from all three of my VMs, meaning I can view the CD data simultaneously on each of VM workstation. I did NOT have to disconnect the CD ROM for the next VM to see it. Is this possible with VMware Workstation 6.0? Or do you need to disconnect the CD ROM for the next one to access it?

0 Kudos