VMware Communities
luderunner
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple windows in VMware workstation

Is it possible to have multiple windows with difference VM's open on the screen at the same time?

I know you can do this with the VMware server web interface but it is possible with workstation?

I want to be able to see 2 linux VM's at the same time on my desktop..

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sure - just launch vmware.exe twice - or run one VM or both in vmplayer.exe

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Or select File > New > Window from the menu.

0 Kudos
chrullrich
Contributor
Contributor

It's been a while since this question, but it still shows up in search results, so I thought I'd add my answer here.

In Workstation 10 on Windows at least, dragging tabs out of the window does not work; neither over the desktop nor into another, empty, window. What works is to create a new window, then close the tab (you probably want to select "Run in background") and open the VM from the Library in the new window.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

You can not open the same Guest OS twice in separate windows,

but different Guest OSs you can,

Just use menu File=>New Window.

Hope helped you.

0 Kudos
LordLucan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've just upgraded from 7 to 9, and I too am looking for this functionality. In seven I could Alt-Tab in the HOST OS and get to all my running VMs.

Now it wants to use one window, if I open a second window, how can I connect that to the running instances in the first vmware.exe?

Can I have one Host OS window per VM?

I'd like my collection of VMs to behave as if I had mstsc'd into physical hosts (Doing that in this instance seems wastefull compared to what VM7 offered)

Where has my sidebar gone?

http://www.businesscomputingworld.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/VMware-WS-7.jpg

----

I can see I can do file open, and navigate through the file system to start/open VMs - i.e. if it is running in the background it just opens.

0 Kudos
Pieter-Jan_de_V
Contributor
Contributor

I just found out an annoying side effect of VM suspension. If you have one VM running in a windows on it's own and resume another VM that was running in a window on it's own when it was suspended, the resuming VM will now appear on a tab in the window of the other, already running VM. Rather frustrating, since I suspend and resume all my VM's every night to create a reliable backup Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Tech_123
Contributor
Contributor

I am assuming the question is about how to open consoles for multiple VMs in workstation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Open the workstation. Navigate to the taskbar and click on the one of the VM names that you see in the recent history.

You will be taken back to the library/main window. Just select whichever VM you want to power on/off and it will open in a separate window.

0 Kudos