VMware Communities
EManN68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Multiple save locations for VMs - VMware Workstation Pro 14 & 15 ?

Hi All,

I'm currently using VMware Server 2.02 on windows 7 x64.  I have held out from upgrading as my desktop server has 3 USB HDDs attached to it of which I have VMs running on each HDD. Spreading out the load for performance or in the event of HDD crash not all my VMs will go down. VMware server allowed you to do this as it can be configured to have more than 1 VM save location ie\ DataStores.  I wish they would make a newer version of VMware server.

Anyhow I have installed VMware PRO on 2 new desktops - 1 running workstation PRO 15 (Windows 10 x64 host), one running workstation pro 14 (Windows 10 x64 Host). I have set the save VM location in the preferences on both, but don't have the option of adding more save locations for VMs.  😞   On know there is shared VM option I can set but his is not what I want to at this time.  I want to use multiple save locations so I can save VMs to any one of my 3 USB HDDs or my network NAS drive.

I have searched and only found one link with regards to this and it entails modifying the Datastores.XML file.  I tried this but it did not work for me.

https://superuser.com/questions/752240/vmware-workstation-shared-vms-mutiple-save-locations

has anyone had success with this or know how to do this ?

thanks,

E-ManN68

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you see in the settings is a "default" directory. However, you can store your VMs wherever you want, which actually covers your current setup with each VM on a different drive. The working directory for each individual VM will be its home directory (where the .vmx file is stored).

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not 100% sure whether I understand the issue you see.

There may not be an option to pre-define multiple save locations, but you can store each individual VM on any location that you want.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I understand your question correctly you want something that would look similar to this:

This is part of the VMs vmx-file ...

scsi0:0.filename = /path-one/dir/name.vmdk + /path-two/dir/name.vmdk

Is that what you want ?

That is not possible with any VMware product.

However you can use workarounds to acchieve that result. But this workarounds are quite ugly ....

Here is one that I tried myself ...

Create a Windows VM with one disk.

Add a second disk.

Convert the one disk into a dynamic disk and assign the second disk to act as the mirror of disk 1.

Now you can work with the VM as usual.

The vmx looks like this

scsi0:0.filename = /path-one/dir/name.vmdk

scsi0:1.filename = /path-two/dir/name.vmdk

If one of the vmdks becomes unavailable the VM will no longer start. Lets say path-one is dead ...

But you can then adjust the vmx so that it looks like this:

# scsi0:0.filename = /path-one/dir/name.vmdk

scsi0:1.filename = /path-two/dir/name.vmdk

Now you can boot the VM again and must switch boot-order to the second vmdk.

I tried this to proove the concept on the ESXi platform.

But it basically will work on all other platforms as well.

This approach works - but IMHO it is a really ugly "solution"

By the way - the edit of the xml in VMserver 2 did not do something like this - not at all.

That hack just works around a limitation of VMserver2 that allowed one path for vmx-files and vmdks only.

0 Kudos
EManN68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank You Andre & Continuum for taking the time to respond to my question.

wow! Continum that was one crazy technical response, but not quite what i was trying to acheive.  But I really appreciate you digging deep to find a solution. thank you.

this is what I am trying to do...

Windows 10 host running vmware workstation pro 14 with 3 usb HDDs attached to this host ....

create 3 VMs

save 1 VM to Drive I:

save 1 VM to drive H:

Save 1 VM to drive K:

the idea is to have the 3 VMs running on different drives on the same host.

Currently vmware workstation pro only has 1 VM working directory and one shared VM directory.  I'm not concerned with the shared feature at this time, but I would love to be able to have the host be able to have multiple VM Save\working directories for VMs.

more like a ESXi host can be attached to mutiple DataStores and have VMs running off each datastore.  In saying that the current host I want to upgrade is running VMware server 2.02 on windows 7 host.  Vmware server 2.02 was a workstation version of vmware but was configurable more like ESXi host.  It had the abillity to create more than 1 VM save\working directory for VMs which was referrred to as Datastores ... just like it is in ESXi.

i hope this explantion clears up what I trying to acheive ... and thanks all for trying to help me.

E

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you see in the settings is a "default" directory. However, you can store your VMs wherever you want, which actually covers your current setup with each VM on a different drive. The working directory for each individual VM will be its home directory (where the .vmx file is stored).

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That article you referenced only applies if your sharing vms, where you can access from VMware workstation from an external computer, which is a feature I think a lot of people don't use. Normal use you can save them where every anywhere, the reason the shared ones need a sperate location is so they can be started by the service used by the service feature.

0 Kudos
EManN68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, long weekend I spent a lot of time upgrading my VWMWARE desktop servers.
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

after a lot of googling and searching  vmware forums I gave up on the datastores feature and multiple save locations.
I found that I can create VMs in other folders otherthan the current working direcotry specified in the preferences setup.
The nice feature about vmware server 2.02, is that when you connect to remote server you can create VMs on datastores attached to that
server but run the VM from the server you used for connecting too.  I use to do this as I have one desktop server with serveral USB HDDs
and I didn't want to run all my VMs on this server.  Anyhow I have a workaround now, not as pretty but it works.  Thanks A.P.  🙂

On my VMWARE desktop servers i ended up uninstalling VMWARE server 2.02 and installing vmware workstation PRO

desktop 1  -->  vmware workstation pro 14
desktop 2  -->  Vmware workstation pro 12 (Version 14 and 15 would not install on my i7 processors)
desktop 3  -->  Vmware workstation pro 12 (Version 14 and 15 would not install on my i7 processors)

now i have another problem connecting to VMWARE remote server  ...

desktop 1 --> can connect to desktop 2 & 3
desktop 2 --> cannot connect to desktop 1 (connection time out)
desktop 2 --> cannot connect to desktop 3 (connection time out)
desktop 3 --> cannot connect to desktop 1 (connection time out)
desktop 3 --> cannot connect to desktop 2 (connection time out)

any ideas as to why can't connect ?

Also desktop 1 can connect but only shows shared VMs on the other 2 VMWARE Desktop servers.  It does not
show the running VMs.  On my work notebook I am running VMWARE workstation pro 14 and when connected to vCenter server all teh VMs and folders show up
in the VMWARE workstation pro console and i can manage the VMs on the remote vCenter server.

thanks,

E

0 Kudos