VMware Communities
RalphP75
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Window support for Workstation

I'm not sure how one might go about sending a feature request to VMware for Workstation but what would make me very happy as a Workstation user that regularly runs multiple VMs that I would like to have on separate monitors, is an "open in new window" option.

I know there is a File... New Window menu option, which brings up a second Workstation instance, but that doesn't behave like one VMware Workstation process that is in control of all VMs. Instead, each window owns the tabs it has open, and every time you make the mistake of clicking on a tab that isn't owned, it pauses for a while and then pops up the take ownership dialog, which is utterly useless, since it can't take ownership, even if I wanted it to.

Instead, the behavior I would like to see is one Workstation process, with tabs that could be undocked and moved to another monitor, with the main Workstation interface able to bring those undocked windows to the foreground and into focus by selecting the VM in the Library pane. The current Take Ownership user experience is frustrating, with having to separately manage which tabs are owned by a particular VMware Workstation window. The vSphere remote console works almost in this manner - and even that behavior - where it will connect a second time and put a yellow banner at the top saying there is a second connection to the console would be preferable.

Anyway, just throwing this out there in case any of the devs are listening and think it's a useful suggestion.

Thanks

Ralph

2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Workstation Player UI to open each instance of your VMs.  That is included with the Workstation Pro installation.

andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I like this idea. It would be neat but I wouldn't hold your breath.