VMware Communities
Rudresh95
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple VMDK Files are their

I am using VMware workstation (15.5.0 build-14665864) over RAID0 .

As am facing issue issue with storage full ,secondly  am not having any snapshot  for the VM.

There are multiple VMDK files present in Destination folder of 50GB each.

Refer:

XXXX_29.139-s001.vmdk

XXXX_29.139-s002.vmdk

XXXX_29.139-s003.vmdk

XXXX_29.139-s004.vmdk

XXXX_29.139-s005.vmdk

Thankyou in advance

PFA: Log File

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do those files match the total size of the virtual disk?

If so, move the VM to another location with available space: Move a Virtual Machine to a New Location or Host

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

in the vmware workstation, when creating a virtual machine, you can choose whether to create the hdd in a single file or to be inserted in multiple files. By default, it is placed in multiple files, which is why you have all those files. The next time you create a virtual machine, be careful with this option when defining your hdd.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Rudresh95
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott,

Yes, overall Filesystem Size matches the Total disk size.

But, when I am accessing the Host/VM Machine (Linux Machine) the File system still empty but while am checking on the destination directory of the Parent  (Windows OS) it is filled up of multiple VMDK file.

As the parent directory is of 1.7 TB while in Host/VM machine it is having max used space of 35GB.

0 Kudos
Rudresh95
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I will follow in this way only from next time.

But, when I am accessing the Host/VM Machine (Linux Machine) the File system still empty but while am checking on the destination directory of the Parent  (Windows OS) it is filled up of multiple VMDK files.

As the parent directory is of 1.7 TB while in Host/VM machine it is having max used space of 35GB.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So it looks like you also pre-allocated the space when creating the virtual disk, rather than using a growable virtual disk.

You may be able to create a new growable version of the disk and use it in place of the preallocated one, have a look at the VMware Virtual Disk Manager utility.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your story does not add up ....

2020-04-09T19:16:46.958+05:30| vmx| I125: DICT      scsi0:0.fileName = "XXXX_29.139-000001.vmdk"

You have one snapshot !!! which appears to be in use

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

continuum is right, according to the log file, the VM has an active snapshot.

If you want/need help, please provide more information:

• a complete list of the VM's files, i.e. run dir *.* /one > filelist.txt in the VM's directory, and attach the filelist.txt to your next reply.
  • also attach the VM's descriptor .vmdk files to your next reply. These are the (most likely 2) small text files without "-s00x" in their names.
  • what other drives/partitions do you have, and how much free disk space do you have on each of them?

André

0 Kudos
KineticITNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I tried to message you but it didn't work! ​I found you through searching the message boards and am really hoping you can help me, I accidentally reverted to (had meant to "go to") an earlier snapshot and lost about a week of work for one of my folders. I believe I still have the .vmdk files but I'm not sure how to rebuild the snapshot chain. Could you help with this? It's for a non-profit arts organization in NYC, we could really use your help, thank you!

Best,

Joshua

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Joshua

call me via skype or create a new post with enough data to work with.
Stop using the VM immediatly !

Ulli

0 Kudos
KineticITNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Will contact you now on skype thank you so much.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hurry up - its 4 in the morning here - going to bed soon

0 Kudos
KineticITNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for being available, we were able to fix the issue extremely quickly and restore our server to the correct version!!! And you even stayed up late to do it. This really saved us, can't thank you enough! Very lucky to have found you, will definitely contact you in the future!

All my best,

J.

0 Kudos
Rudresh95
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I had removed the snapshot before only.

But the Disk is having multiple vmdk files  and I am unable to find the actual disk usage.

Is it possible to connect over skype?

0 Kudos