VMware Communities
NCOT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple Processors are making the OS run slower?

I am running VmWare Workstation v6.0.4 on my home computer. I have an Intel Dual Core 3ghtz. If i set a guest OS to use both Processors, the guest runs incredibly slow, far slower than if i set it to use only 1?

I want to run the max # of Guest OS's i can. Is this a problem with this version? Any ideas?

NCOT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am running VmWare Workstation v6.0.4 on my home computer. I have an Intel Dual Core 3ghtz. If i set a guest OS to use both Processors, the guest runs incredibly slow, far slower than if i set it to use only 1?

I want to run the max # of Guest OS's i can. Is this a problem with this version? Any ideas?

Running multi-core Guests is actually a lot more work for VMware then it is on physical hardware. It's usually not worth the performance penalty even on a Quad core system except in specific situations.

Since you only have 2 physical cores, you should not configure any guests with 2 virtual CPUs. (You want your Host to always have more cores than the number of cores allocated to a single Guest.).

You will not have a problem running tons of single virtual CPU Guests. You will become limited by available Host RAM or Disk IO speed long before your CPU becomes a bottleneck.

P.S. VMware Workstation 6.5.1 is out now and is a free upgrade to 6.0.x users.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Running multi-core Guests is actually a lot more work for VMware then it is on physical hardware. It's usually not worth the performance penalty even on a Quad core system except in specific situations.

Since you only have 2 physical cores, you should not configure any guests with 2 virtual CPUs. (You want your Host to always have more cores than the number of cores allocated to a single Guest.).

You will not have a problem running tons of single virtual CPU Guests. You will become limited by available Host RAM or Disk IO speed long before your CPU becomes a bottleneck.

P.S. VMware Workstation 6.5.1 is out now and is a free upgrade to 6.0.x users.

0 Kudos