VMware Communities
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple Linked Clones

Is there a practical limit as to how many clones can be linked to a master and concurrently run???

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

Hello kriemer.

As far as I know usually VMware gives recommendations about number of linked clones per VMFS datastore with VAAI support, BUT i remember there was recommendation to keep 64 linked clones per 1 replica in View 4 AND there is limit for View 5.2 (and i guess 5.3) 1,000 VMs per View Composer desktop pool or replica. Take a look at A Review of Horizon View 5.2 Limits and Maximums » myvirtualcloud.net.

Update: Oh, sorry i didnt notice that it is Workstation forum Smiley Sad didnt even know there are linked clones in Workstation.

kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Akopylov,

'Yep there are linked clones in Workstation.  It appears to me that as far as Workstation is concerned that linked clones are just another form of snapshot though one where I can run several versions of the base(?) machine concurrently. 

What I was hoping for was to be able to update the base machine and have that propagate through the lined clones.  This does not appear to be the case and thinking about it I should not be surprised.

Thanks for your comments.

k

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you want to run more than 50 linked clones you have to delete the vmem-files

0 Kudos