VMware Communities
OzFlip
Contributor
Contributor

Multicasting issue on Workstation 8

I've been having issues with multicasting since 7.1, but I really need it to work now.

I have Workstation 8. I'm running a single VM, on a Windows 7 SP1 host. The VM is also Windows 7 SP1.

I have a server application which sends out a multicast ID packet, and a client that looks for that and uses the data to initiate conversations with the server over normal UDP transactions.

If the NIC on the VM is bridged to a physical network adapter, then all is well. However, if I am using one of the 'Host Only' networks, then multicasts can be send from either the VM or the host and seen in Wireshark, but software running on the host box never sees those actual packets. Something in the host adapter is not passing them or is filtering them before they get to the app.

I need to get this going over the host-only networks. I'm trying to test the software and I can't let it get out on the physical network or it will interfere witht he production multicasting.

PS .. yes, I know what I'm doing. The software listens for multicasts only on the specific NIC it's told to and UDP sends are bound to that specific NIC as well.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
0 Replies