VMware Communities
TachoKnight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving guest from Workstation 6 to ESX 3.5?

Hi all-

This task has proven to be very complicated and I'm not sure why. I built a guest Windows2003 server using Workstation 6 (6.0.0 build-45731) on Linux, everything works fine, now I want to deploy it to our ESX 3.5 server. I tar'ed the guest directory up, sent it to the ESX machine, loaded it into the inventory, and it complains about the hardware, especially the disk, being incorrect. I've been pouring through the manual and Googling all afternoon and there seems to be nothing specifically spelled out how to accomplish this task.

I noticed there is a checkbox under Hardware Compatibility labeled "ESX Server Compatible", but it does not seem to be mentioned anywhere in the manual.

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't been able to figure out what, exactly, yet.

Thanks for any assistance,

Tacho

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums,

If you did not check the ESX compatible box the easiest way is to download VMware Converter and convert it into your ESX server. this will do all the configuration changes when Converting

Remember to award points for helpful or correct answers

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums,

If you did not check the ESX compatible box the easiest way is to download VMware Converter and convert it into your ESX server. this will do all the configuration changes when Converting

Remember to award points for helpful or correct answers

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TachoKnight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that worked well. It'd be nice if there was a Linux version, though, as I had to ftp the whole thing (4.6 gig) to my machine, convert it, then ftp it to the ESX box. Oh well, it's working regardless.

Thanks!

0 Kudos