VMware Communities
xerces8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving Windows from laptop to VM, activation problems

I decided to migrate Windows XP Pro SP2 from my laptop into a VM on my workstation.

I did it by cloning the laptop disk to the virtual disk.

I can boot the VM, but after logging in, it requires re-activation (not a surprise).

The problem is, that when I proceed with activation (over internet), it hangs at "Checking for connectivity...". I left it for hours.

I can close the dialog and then it throws me back at the login screen.

Any idea what to do ? The VM (see attached vmx file) has NAT networking, which works (tested by booting a linux CD in the same VM).

I also checked the VM hardware clock and it is set correctly.

Any idea how to resolve this ?

Regards,

David

For legal doubts : Windows was preinstalled on the laptop and there is a COA sticker at its bottom.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is probable that all of the drivers are not installed, yet. I would suggest using the phone activation method to get your activation number. Then, you cancontinue with the XP setup in the VM.

Good Luck!

xerces8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I activated it by phone (cost me 2 EUR, thank you MS !), then installed vmware tools and ... it wants to be activated again !!!

Of course, again, it does not work !

I can browse the web and everything, but the activation wizard is checking the connectivity and checking ... and checking ... and checking ...

Really a great tool to force users into using pirated versions that "Just Work(tm)"...

Is the activation thing using some strange protocols ?

PS:OK, which (sorry for the expression) idiot wrote this new forum ? It's dreadful.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MS do their best to make you reacivate when any it deems a reasonable change happens to the hardware, so, things like even changing from say 256 to 512 can be enough.. I can relate to why they do it, but, at the same time, it is a tad paranoid..

unless you left it a while you should be able to use it without activation for a little while, at which ponit, you'd have installed the vmware tools,and then activated it - hind sight is always good, but unless you get a volume license agreement, its something you grow to live with.

Sorry to hear you had such problems, but, hopefully you'll know for next time.

magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FYI, even if you had 'reinstalled' your preload version to your host machine, the internet method of reactivation wouldn't work. M$, in their infinite wisdom turned off the OEM internet activation, requiring a phone call when something changes. Also this is to remind everyone of something the VMWare docs state: Activate XP AFTER you install tools.

0 Kudos