VMware Communities
MrWonderful1
Contributor
Contributor

Move workstation license to new disk

I am trying to move a license had an ssd fail and put in my old boot drive and got my key from my keys entered it in the vmware on the drive and tells me the key is invalid. The key shows registered have moved this before cause this drive originaly had the key can't rember how.

:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you can look up your old key in the registry on Windows
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation

If you use Linux it is stored in a file either in /etc/vmware or in ~/.vmware

0 Kudos
MrWonderful1
Contributor
Contributor

I know the key from my vmware license keys the key give me and invalid key when I enter it. I am assuming because the disk crashed and I cannot unistall workstation from it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at Cleaning up after an incomplete deinstallation on a Windows host (1308) and then after cleaning up, reinstall VMware Workstation.  Make sure you backup your Serial Number before cleaning the Windows Registry.

If you what to safely modify the Window Registry then utilize the information in "How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a registration entries (.reg) fil..." to do so.

0 Kudos
MrWonderful1
Contributor
Contributor

manually unistalling and then reinstalling worked.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jox
Contributor
Contributor

Does this work for workstation 8 from Windows XP to Windows 7? I just got upgraded to a new work PC but don't want to screw up transfering my license over. Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to retrieve the License Key for the Windows Registry.

0 Kudos