VMware Communities
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

Move configuration file of VM to another location

Hi to all,

I've ran out the space on my hdd, and I need to move some VMs to another hdd, may I take this VM running on workstation and put its configuration file in a different location?

How to specify this new location in workstation, how to "tell" it to take the file from this new location ?

Thanks in advance...

Gazzy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

1. power off the VM - dont suspend it
2. move the complete directory of the VM to a new location
3. doubleclick the vmx-file from that new location

when asked - tell Workstation that you moved the VM

gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli, thanks for you repliying, but i've done another time the master VM and the pool of desktop, but the problem is that when Vcenter is creating the pool of desktop, workstation paused the host, because the space of the hard disk is running out.

How can i solve this issue ? If i try to expand the hdd of the host, it says that i can't because i've in it a snapshot of the VMs....So if the host is down, how can I enter with Vsphere and delete the snapshot? There is another way to solve this?

Please, help me, because on 23th Aprli i have to talk about my work for my degree....:/

Thanks in advance Ulli,

By Gazzy.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you run a View setup nested in Workstation ?

anyway - we need much more details to even understand what the problem is

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me this looks like you are mixing up a couple of things, like VMware Workstation and VMware View as well as running out of disk space on a datastore and now you want to resize the VM's virtual disks!?

Can you please describe your current setup to better understand the issue?

André

0 Kudos
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

I've done an entire virtual infrastructure, for testing VMware View service over a satellite internet connection.
I have a phisical machine wich runs CentOS 6.2 which has Workstation on it.

On workstation, i have :

1) 1 host ESXi

2) M0n0wall

3) NAS (is my external hdd)

The hard disk i've assigned to the host ESXi is 100 GB, in  there  I installed the VMs for Active directory, Vcenter e View composer, and View Manager.

When I try to start the VM it says that has stopped the host because of the space where the host resides, is running out...

I hope i've explained well the issue....

0 Kudos
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andrè, thanks for your answer...

I'm not mixing the things, i'm doing a lab for testing view, all in one phisical machine (which has CentOS as OS).

So i had to install workstation, and on it, I've installed the entire virtual infrastructure....

It's more clear now?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> When I try to start the VM it says that has stopped the host because of the space where the host resides, is running out...

are you talking about the Workstation VMs or the ESXi VMs ?

cant you add just another disk to the ESXi VM ?

0 Kudos
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

Ulli, tell me which details u nedd to have, I've explained a lot of the infrastructure...

For the storage, I've used 100 GB of Hdd for host ESXi, and the home partition of CentOS il 154 GB.

I lefted the other 50 GB for an example on NAS storage, which this morning I've removed for this problem of space.

Now I have 100 GB for the host and 50 GB free, but i cannot expand the hdd of the host, because he says that there are the VMs on it which have a snapshot...

Do you think i can remove all this snapshots and expand adding 50 GB to the Host's hdd ???

I'm worried about this, if I remove the snapshots and i will not be able to have the same VMs?

Think that I've done these snapshots only for preventing some issues....

0 Kudos
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm talking about the ESXi host, which resides as a VM on the Workstation....I hope i've answered...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

so what problems do you expect when you merge the snapshots via snapshotmanager ?

gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean Ulli...sorry but i can't understand....

0 Kudos
gazzy
Contributor
Contributor

Ulli, sorry, one question...If tomorrow, I'll go to a shop for buying an hdd sata with at least 500 GB of memory....will I reach to move all my work (host and VM over it) without any issue ? Consider that I've took a snapshot of every VM (because I tought  it was like a backup )....

Because if i can solve all the issue with this method, i'll go to the shop and buy an hard disk...

I hope you can answer me soon...

Thanks in advance,

Gazzy....

0 Kudos