VMware Communities
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mouse stuck in top left corner of VM created from Windows XP Mode VHD on Windows 7 Professional x64

I'm a new vmware user (as far as creating a vm is concerned). I have an old laptop running windows 7 professional x64 that I use for running legacy automobile diagnostic software. I am trying to create a working windows xp vm starting from a windows xp mode vhd. I got the idea to do this from this article, Using Free Windows XP Mode as a VMware Virtual Machine. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as easy as it looks.

First, I found that vmplayer no longer will import a vhd, so I installed VCSC. Of course, VCSC no longer supports vhd. I found this article, How to create a VM from a XP-mode VHD, which worked. In case anyone wants to do this, I found this article, Creating a Workstation virtual machine using existing VMDK virtual disks (2010196), to be helpful.

My latest problem is that the vm will boot, but it's almost unusable because the mouse is stuck in the top left corner of the display. I understand there are some tools that are supposed be installed to improve the mouse, but I can barely do anything on the vm with the mouse stuck. There is nothing wrong with the physical mouse. I have several other vmware vms and they work fine. I searched and did not find a solution to this problem. I'd really appreciate if someone who has solved it would help me out.

I'm using the latest version of vmware workstation.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found out how to install the vmware tools from the vmware. The cursor is no longer stuck in the top left corner, but the mouse is still broken. The position of the cursor is not where the mouse thinks it is. It's still unusable.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a Windows XP iso, which I used to create a new VM. When it booted, the mouse worked. It's useless to me because I don't have product key. (The key that I received with the  windows xp mode vhd will not work.) I'm stuck. I either need a product key or I need to get the imported vhd to work. Surely this must work!?!

0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please see this VMware Communities Thread and see if this helps - https://communities.vmware.com/thread/454631. Also, have you also tried VMware Converter Standalone? For more information, see https://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_61_guide.pdf.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply.

In the first post of this thread, I explained that I started off using the stand alone converter. It apparently used to support converting a vhd to vmware format, but not longer, so I followed the recommended process to add the vhd as a stand-alone disk. That booted, but the mouse is completely broken.

I'll take a look at the references that you provided.

0 Kudos
Desiabe08
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to shed light to whoever stumbles on this thread on how to fix this mouse problem with this particular virtualization from How to create a VM from a XP-mode VHD. Once XP is virtualized and setup (when it shows the desktop), try to navigate to add or remove programs in control panel. There will be two installed programs. Uninstall Virtual PC integration components (pics attached). Once the VM restarts, the mouse will start to act normal. Finalize by installing VMware tools. Hope this helps. I turn on the mouse trail to prove my explanation. It's kind of nostalgic.

Remember TAB and the Win key are your best friend.

Ovan86
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing thanks, I have been looking everywhere with no luck and this is the correct solution. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
mike_yung
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
itsTyrion
Contributor
Contributor

THAT WAS IT, THANKS. Now it also doesn't hang on shutdown. I guess it makes sense Microsoft preinstalled integration for the "XP Mode" VM software

0 Kudos