VMware Communities
RickTT
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse not working working when selecting Start from the Windows taskbar menu.

I'm moving my VMs to a new computer, my current (old machine soon to be retired) computer is running VMware Workstation 15.5.7 and my new computer is running VMware Workstation 16.2.3.

I've copied over the VMs and "attached" each with a Moved (not copied) of the VM. The VMs start fine and everything looks good except the mouse when I go down to click the Windows Start in the lower left to bring up the menu, nothing happens. Elsewhere the mouse and buttons work fine. Also right mouse clicking on the Start menu to bring up the Logout/Shutdown/etc. doesn't work, no popup of that control menu.

Adding to this the VMs are Windows 10 (there are three), and so I updated one to Windows 11. The Windows Start Menu on Windows 11 now work BUT ONLY if I leave the menu in the center position. If I modify the behavior of the menu such that it goes back to the left, the same problem occurs as on Windows 10.

I've restarted the VMs multiple times, installed the latest VMware tools and still nothing has worked.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickTT
Contributor
Contributor

Well of course as soon as I post I find the problem. Turns out my computer had a very faint overlay I happen to notice in a portion of screen that matches with the lower left portion of the VMware window when I had it open. Appears to have been some notice for an update that failed and the popup didn't fully "come to life". What it was doing was capturing the mouse clicks and sent them into neverland.

After restarting my computer and running VMware again, all the VMs were good.

Tags (1)
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos