VMware Communities
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse jumps around with 14.1.1 and multiple monitors - XP guest crash - falling back to 14.0.0

I have a Windows 7 Pro host and a Windows 7 Pro guest and was on VMware Workstation 14.0.0 then upgraded to 14.1.1.  My host is a desktop Xeon X99 based workstation.  I also updated the vmware tools in the guest to the 10.2 as prompted.  I have three monitors and use all three for the guest.

I noticed, almost immediately that my mouse would sometimes 'jump' from the center monitor to the monitor to my left. There does not seem to be much rhyme nor reason but in a text  editor, UltraEdit, i noticed that when I pushed the Undo key multiple times in a row, 5-10 times, the cursor at first disappears and always jumps off the button.

I am using a Microsoft Mouse with the standard Windows mouse driver. I do not use the 'enhanced' VMware keyboard driver.

I saw a user with a laptop and a jumping mouse which appears attributed to a driver.  I also have an Windows XP guest which crashed immediately after starting it.

Beware of this release!  I am falling back to 14.0.0.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

As a followup, after falling back to version 14.0.0, I tried the Windows 7 Pro Guest that I had installed the updated VMware Tools 10.2.  The cursor still jumps and the text editor still had the same issue with the jumping cursor after pushing undo multiple times in a row.  Only after I downgraded the tools to 10.1.15 did this virtual machine return to normal.

My Windows XP virtual will now start normally under 14.0.0 (it never had the updated tools as it did not start the first time under 14.1.1, and stayed in a light blue screen the second time I tried to start it??).

I don't believe 14.1.1 is ready for prime time.

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> I noticed, almost immediately that my mouse would sometimes 'jump' from the center monitor to the monitor to my left.

Any operation lead to this error? Or Is it totally randomly?

And when the curor jumps to the left monitor, what is the exact position of the curor? Top left of the screen? Center of the screen?

> when I pushed the Undo key multiple times in a row, 5-10 times, the cursor at first disappears and always jumps off the button.

When it jumps off the button, what is the new position of the cursor?

0 Kudos
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

Then the mouse would randomly jump, it was usually to the to the upper left hand corner of the far left monitor.

When I pushed the Undo key multiple times when I was in a text editor (UltraEdit) it would jump to the upper left hand corner of the UltraEdit Window (which was full screen in the center monitor).

My three monitors are arranged side by side with the far left being 1, center 2, and right 3.  The center 2 also is the main screen for Windows, both host and guest.

0 Kudos
petarpetrovicsy
Contributor
Contributor

I have, basically, the same problem; cursor jumps randomly between monitors and changes shape from arrow to pointing hand when switching from one virtual machine to another. All started after upgrading to 14.1.1

two monitors and three virtual machines (W7 enterprise, XP pro x64), each virtual machine has both monitors allocated.

workstation pro 14.1.1 build 7528167

host: windows 10 pro version 1709 build 16299.192

0 Kudos
javakcl
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, and even very rarely lose the mouse pointer altogether.  I can bring it back by pressing the right ctrl+alt, and then clicking into the VM again.

VMWare Workstation Player 14.1.1 build-7528167

VMWare tools 10.2.0, build 7259539

Host:  Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1709

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6700

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K

Guest: Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1709

0 Kudos
netravert
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any updates or progress with this problem? I believe I am seeing the same issue. I am running VMware Workstation 14.1.1 build-7528167 with dual monitors. My cursor randomly jumps to the top-left corner of my screen. The best way for me to replicate this issue is in Outlook 2016. If I repeatedly click the “Delete” button in Outlook’s menu ribbon, after a few clicks my mouse will jump to the top-left and I will inadvertently click the “Send / Receive” icon. It happens in other applications as well. Very frustrating. I am using the exact same setup I was using with VMware Workstation 12. The problem started after upgrading to VMware Workstation 14.

Other things to note about the issue. When I click the “Delete” button in Outlook, my cursor disappears, but the “Delete” button is still highlighted, as if the cursor is still hovering over the button. If I collapse the VM down to a single monitor, I do not have the issue. It only happens when the VM is across multiple monitors.

0 Kudos
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

I have stayed on 14.0.0 and was looking for news myself. 

I see that the official release level of Vmware Workstation is still at the buggy 14.1.1.

Over the years, when a new release hit lots of folks with bugs, it usually took several months before an update came out. I get the impression they follow a planned release cycles pretty much regardless, hence why i plan on falling back when an update has issues.

0 Kudos
palmej2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

Host OS: Windows 10

Guest OS: Windows 10

VMWare Workstation Version: 14.1.1 Build-7528167

I'm losing time constantly because of the mouse jumping to the upper left.  This seems to be worse when using windows applications like Word, Excel, etc.  I don't notice as much with Chrome or other browsers. 

Is there a bug logged for this issue, and when is ETA for resolution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
palmej2
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone on this thread created an incident with Support yet and know of a workaround?

0 Kudos
petarpetrovicsy
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, i have not.

since i have set up the same resolution for all vm's i am not having the problem.

0 Kudos
palmej2
Contributor
Contributor

What was the resolution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
petarpetrovicsy
Contributor
Contributor

1920x1200, landscape, extend these displays

0 Kudos
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem. Host is Dell XPS 15 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, and 3840x2160 screen, extended with a Philips 3840x2160 screen. Guest is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

If I open Firefox or a Shell in client and try to move it around the screen then it immediately snaps to one of the edges, or extends to the entire screen. If I move the window around in the middle of the screen and release the mouse button, then the window always jumps downwards to the left making it impossible to arrange windows on the screen. Extreamly frustrating making VmWare Workstation Pro unusable together with Ubuntu

The behaviour can be seen at  https://youtu.be/rahS0nnNGMg
and another one here VmWare Workstation Pro 14 with Ubuntu guest - YouTube

0 Kudos
Harwise
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The videos are really helpful for investigating the problems. Thanks.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So sorry to see you guys are having this problem. And thanks so much, Mats for uploading the videos on youtube!

Could I please get confirmation from people who are hitting this... Is what you're seeing the same thing as Mats showed in his videos, where the mouse cursor is flickering and out of place with where the mouse actually seems to be in the VM? Like, in Mats' videos, you can tell as he's moving his mouse around that though it is drawing at the top left corner, in the VM it's actually hovering over one of the icons below and to the right of where the mouse cursor is drawing. And when he drags the window, the actual window preview is below and to the right of where the mouse cursor is being drawn?

I just wanted to see if this is the same kind of thing that the other people are seeing on this thread, or if this is a different symptom entirely? Like, the people who are seeing this... does this look similar to what you're seeing in that the mouse cursor is being drawn somewhere other than where it seems to actually be in the VM? Or is it that the mouse cursor seems like it's in the right place for a while and then all of a sudden, it goes nuts?

Also, folks who are hitting this, can you please list out the version of Windows, and the models and resolutions of the monitors you have connected to your system when you see this? And are your monitors high-DPI displays (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices )? If you set the scaling for all your displays to 100% (Windows 10 Help Forums ), does this help or not?

Thanks all! We're looking into what's going on here and trying to make sense of it. Please keep the information coming!

0 Kudos
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

What I reported when opening this thread and video are not the same. 

My cursor was in one location and moved suddenly to a different location (i.e. jumped). The virtual machine was full screen across three monitors.

The host is Windows 7 Professional, the guest is Windows 7 Professional. The host has three monitors each with a 1920x1080 resolution. The guest is across all three monitors.  No high DPI here.

0 Kudos
petarpetrovicsy
Contributor
Contributor

what i had was different from the video; pointer suddenly moves (usually to a corner), and that can happen any time.

usually, when it happens, it continues to jump sporadically, until I resize the window (from multiple monitors to one) on all VM's

host: W10 Pro

guests: W7 Enterprise, XP Pro, XP Pro x64,

2 monitors 1920x1200 (native) for every VM and the host (BTW, it is not happening any more).

0 Kudos
palmej2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue as petarpetrovicsydney​ exactly on my VMs.  The issue only seems to happen when 2 monitors are being used.  If only 1 monitor is used it doesn't happen. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
palmej2
Contributor
Contributor

Preferences > Input > Optimize mouse for games: > Never

By default this setting is automatic.  That setting is what messes with the mouse when using application, and causes it to jump to the upper left.  It's clearly a bug in VMWare, but until they fix it disable that damn thing. 

Thanks

0 Kudos