chaossysten
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse flicker in guests

Hello,

Recently all my guest VMs have started to have a weird mouse flicker. This happens even when in the install page for Ubuntu or PopOS, and continues to happen on a fresh install after installing open-vm-tools-desktop.

It didn't use to happen (about a month ago). Curious if anyone has any suggestions on what might be wrong here. I have tried "optimize" for games but while that setting seems to solve the flicker, the input gets really sluggish and unusable. It seems to be a VMware problem though since it happens on any guest (at least Debian based guests that I've tried)

PS: I tried to screen record this but oddly enough the behaviour doesn't appear in the screen recording. What this actually looks like is whenever you are moving the mouse the mouse disappears, when you stop moving or slow down it appears again. So as you move your mouse around you observe flickering as the mouse appears and disappears.

Thanks!

65 Replies
dperez83
Contributor
Contributor

Intel graphics driver 27.20.100.9466 that was just released fixed my problem.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

bindernews
Contributor
Contributor

I just took the plunge and re-installed Workstation 15 to see if that fixed the issue, and it still appears. This is 100% a conflict between the graphics driver (Nvidia in my case) and the Workstation UI. For now I am switching to VirtualBox until things improve. I will be checking the Nvidia forums and asking for support there to see if I can get a fix.

0 Kudos
gysi
Contributor
Contributor

@gysi wrote:

Ok my Workaround is now to use the xorg.conf with:

Option "HWcursor" "False"

Problem is that you then have two mouse pointers. I created a invisible mouse theme for ubuntu:

https://github.com/gysi/ubuntu-invis-cursor-theme

Using that you only have one mouse pointer. 

The only problem I have is that the mouse pointer always stays the same... but for now I can live with it.

After 4 month living with my workarround, I tried the normal settings again since vmware rolled out an update and nvidia some too.
It's been 3 days and no flickering. It seems that it's fixed guys.

VMWare Player Version: 16.1.2 build-17966106
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080, Driver Version: 466.77

0 Kudos
Patrick04
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the mouse flicker problem.  Restarting the host fixes it temporarily.   I would really appreciate a solution from VMWare...

• Host:  Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 19043.1052) 10.0.19043
  • VMware® Workstation 16 Pro 16.1.2 build-17966106
  • NVIDIA Quadro P2200, driver version 27.21.14.6259,  driver date 5/6/2021
0 Kudos
klppchen
Contributor
Contributor

Update Intel New graphics driver fixed my problem too.

It's works.

0 Kudos
colemarc
Contributor
Contributor

Intel graphics driver 27.20.100.9466 fixed the problem indeed!

0 Kudos