VMware Communities
Stealer0
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse cursor lags and speedy when setting guest DPI above 150 [VMWare 15]

I'm on Retina display, host Win 10 (DPI 200%). Guest Win 2008 Server.

When installing VMWare tools it always sets DPI to 150% in guest, mouse works perfecly, but text is still small.

If I disable auto-dpi and set guest dpi above 150% (200-250%) , the mouse cursor feels as it's rendered at low fps with frame skips when it's moving, also with x2 cursor speed compared to host.

It really breaks me from work. Is there a way to fix it? Anyone got to the same issue?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I'm wondering if this issue is only for Retina display. Could u help test if this issue exists on 2k or 4k monitor ? Thanks

0 Kudos
Stealer0
Contributor
Contributor

I got in use LG Ultrafine 5k now, which is set to 175% scaling (Retina 15'' set to 200%).

While on Retina 200%Host/150%Guest working fine but too small, on Ultrafine 5K 175%Host/150%Guest weird behavior of cursor came back with frame skips (cursor speed also feels over accelerated as it was with over 150% scaling in Guest on Retina, but not that much).

I have to open lid with Retina display and move 'VMWare Workstation' window between Retina/Ultrafine5K and see how it shakes with 'device disconnect' sound to re-adjust for different scaling between displays. After this, the frame skips of cursor in the active VMWare go away, so at least I can see him, but cursor speed still mismatches to Host OS, which is annoying.

0 Kudos
Stealer0
Contributor
Contributor

Just updated to 15.1 version. Seems there was changes to make 'stretch' available for all OS, and so scaling was reviewed as well. Will see how it works.

0 Kudos