VMware Communities
martinav
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse buttons dont work.

I have installed a Win7 VM.  It works perfectly except the mouse buttons are screwed.  I have uninstalled / reinstalled VM tools multiple times.  On first focus on the window, I get one pick... then no more.  Flyover works, so i know its getting mouse instructions.  I have even RDP into the PC hosting VMWare, and same.  Enter works sometimes as left button.  Shift F10 works as right button... its just moust buttons that dont work.  Its independent of mouse as well. 

HELP!!!

Thx.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try the following steps and check the result.
Step 1: Check in safe mode
a. See Start your computer in safe mode
b. Login to the problem user account and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: If the issue doesn't persist in safe mode, then try clean boot
a. Open the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
b. From the article, follow "Step 1: Perform a clean boot" Executing these steps will disable all the non Microsoft programs running on the computer.
c. Check if the issue persists.
d. If the issue does not persist in clean boot, it means that some non Microsoft program is causing the issue.
e. To find out the program that's causing the issue, try "Step 2: Enable half of the services" to "Step 6: Resolve the problem"
f. Once you find the culprit, check if there are any updates or patches for the program. If you find any, install them and check the difference or reinstall the latest program.
g. From the article, follow "Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual"

Step 3: If the issue still persists, restore the computer to an earlier time
a. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
b. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
c. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
d. Click Finish.
e. Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

You need to ensure/verify that the mouse driver is the VMware Pointing Device driver inside the VM:

• Right-click My Computer and click Manage.
  • Select Device Manager and expand Mice and other pointing devices.
  • The VMware driver is named VMware Pointing Device. If another driver is present, update the driver:
  • Right-click the mouse driver and click Update Driver Software.
  • Browse to the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse and click Next.
  • Select VMware Pointing Device and click Next.

Note: The operating system may need to be rebooted for the change to take effect.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
arzoo1
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem. Host is Win10. VM is Win7. Mouse is Logitech M510. The mouse driver is correct. The extra mouse buttons all worked fine with Workstation 12 but not with 15. This needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A default vmx-file normally is fine for 3 button mices unless you are using Logitech devices.

When you want to use more than 3 buttons and / or Logitech mice you need to edit the vmx-file.

So please show your edited vmx-file.

By the way ... if I learned one thing about Workstation it is this: avoid to use mouse-devices that require  a driver for the host OS. Instead buy cheap 3 button USB-mice as they will work flawless.