VMware Communities
carleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mouse VERY sluggish on Workstation 9

I have been using the same Core i7-920 machine for four years now.  Since I upgraded from VM Workstation 7 to 9, the mouse has been very sluggish.  I have to double, tripple and sometimes quadruple click to get a responce.  There are times when there are 30 second delays between clicking and something happens.  This happens on VM that I have had for a while and new VM's that I just setup.  I have purchased a new, faster, internal hard drive to put the VM's on and that has not helped.  It is to the point that using VM Workstation is costing me more time than it is saving.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The log file contains a lot of timeouts for the floppy drive, entries about automatic Tools Updates as well as automatic snapshots. Please check the VMs settings and disable "Connect at power on" for the floppy and CD-ROM, then in the "Options" tab set "VMware Tools" updates to "Update manually" and set "Snapshots" to "Just power off" (unless this is something you want/need).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Updated VMware Tools?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM I am using the most right now is very sluggish and was built on Workstation 9.0.1 which has the VMWare tools installed right after the OS was stood up.  It ran sluggish originally and still runs sluggish now that I am on 9.0.2.

0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For what it is worth, I reapplied the VM Tools and it is just as sluggish as it was before

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please attach the VM's vmware.log to a reply post to see whether this contains any hints.

Sometimes such issues are related to a "connected" CD-ROM drive in the VM's settings!?

André

0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

three are attached in the zip file

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The log file contains a lot of timeouts for the floppy drive, entries about automatic Tools Updates as well as automatic snapshots. Please check the VMs settings and disable "Connect at power on" for the floppy and CD-ROM, then in the "Options" tab set "VMware Tools" updates to "Update manually" and set "Snapshots" to "Just power off" (unless this is something you want/need).

André

0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did as you suggested for the VM Ware tools update and the floppy drive.  The snapshots I live and die by, since I am using the VM to test installs of my software.  All seems to be running well now, thank you!

0 Kudos