VMware Communities
sambul12
Contributor
Contributor

Mounting VMWare Workstation 7 vmdk files in Windows 7 64bit

I tried running vmware-mount.exe utility (with all required parameters) that is installed with current VMWare DDK, and it does nothing to mount a created by VMWare 7.1.2 vmdk file as virtual disk in Win-7 64-bit, just prints content of Help instead in Command Promt window, if I type a pass to vmdk file without "". When using "" in the pass string, the utility crashes with popup Error "Program unexpectedly closed". It looks like it uses a modded WinXP 64-bit VDK driver of Ken Kato (its actually placed by DDK installer in the same folder with vmware-mount.exe), but the driver is unsigned, and doesn't work in regular Win7 64-bit mode when installed on its own. VMWare DiskMount GUI from Devfarm Software also crashes the same way using the same 64-bit driver. Interesting that vddk64.zip file is also placed by the installer in the same folder, but it doesn't have vmware-mount.exe file in its bin folder, only vmware-vdiskmanager.exe.

Anyone can suggest, what I'm doing wrong, and how to mount  current versions of vmdk files in Win7 64-bit to make them accessible via Win Explorer 64-bit, instead of only in VMWare workstation or player? Any other utility can do that? What can possibly be a problem, assuming vmware-mount.exe uses its own signed 64-bit driver instead of VDK, and supports created by VMWare Workstation 7 vmdk files? Anyone was lucky to mount any versions of vmdk files in Win7 64-bit - how exactly? Why VMWare relies on an old unsigned 3-d party driver to mount its own virtual disk files in Windows?

0 Kudos
45 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I do not sit in front of a win7 with an MS iSCSI-target right now - I use Starwind.

There the option I use when creating / assigning an iSCSI-target  is called "ImageDevice"

When I want to assign a vmdk as iSCSI-target I use the  somename-flat.vmdk renamed to somename-flat.img

The iscsi-target can be on the same host as the initiator that later mounts the iscsi-device - it also can be a different PC or a VM.
That really makes no difference.

If you have problems with the MS-Target use the free Starwind iSCSI-target - it has an easier - more intuitive GUI then the MS-version.
There are some other free versions available which may use different names for the "ImageDevice"

Open the MS-target and show me a screenshot of the available options when creating a new target - then I can tell you which one to use.

For this purpose we want an option that uses a plain, uncompressed image file - the file-extension does not matter at this time.

if you need it, I can create some screenshots and a short howto for the procedure I use - but you may have to remind me 😉

0 Kudos
sambul12
Contributor
Contributor

Everything is fine with options done like here. What IP address do you enter in the Initiator's Find Target field - your PC IP? My firewall shows requests from wintarget.exe to a different IP on the LAN? I can't access it from Win7 guest either. Will try Starwind.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what IP ?

example case:
you want to restore an ghost-image to a vmdk - all on a Windows host named Wusn with IP 10.11.12.13

- create blank empty vmdk with vmware-vdiskmanager.exe - call it C:\ghost.vmdk - create type monolithicFlat
- rename C:\ghost-flat.vmdk to C:\ghost-flat.img
- start Starwind

- create new "target" - select "ImageDevice"
- give the new target the name "ghost"
- assign the image-file C:\ghost-flat.img to the iSCSI-target "ghost"
- start MS-iSCSI Initiator
- search for remote iSCSI targets on host Wusn or look for 10.11.12.13
- search for the target named "ghost"
- connect to the target and automount it
- open disk management
- find a new unpartitioned disk
- partition the disk and assign driveletters if required
- run ghost

- when done - disconnect iscsi target
- rename C:\ghost-flat.img to C:\ghost-flat.vmdk
- start a VM that uses the vmdk C:\ghost.vmdk
- it should come up with the restored ghost-machine running as VM

Hope that gives you a better idea of the procedure

... only looks complicated the first time 😉

0 Kudos
sambul12
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't look complicated either. Probably, MS iSCSI Target needs some extra dlls that are missing in Win7 (without Win Storage Server installed). Or may be its IPSec CFG issue - have to read Manuals. For those interested all WSS & MS iSCSI links are here. Smiley Happy

P.S. Nothing is simple until you master it to perfection. iSCSI implementations have their own loads of issues, and large forums to bug.

0 Kudos
LouKur
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem. I have tried:

vmware-mount M: LOUXPS.vmdk

Command completes normally, but Windows 7 [Professional 64-bit] throws error:

Location is not available
M:\ is not accessible
Incorrect function

When is try Prepare for shrinking with: mware-vdiskmanager -p M: I get:

Failed to prepare the disk mounted at 'M' for shrinking.

I have tried your suggestion of:

vmware-mount.exe x: LOUXPS.vmdk /m:w /v:2

I get:

Unable to mount the virtual disk. The disk may be in use by a virtual
machine, may not have enough volumes or mounted under another drive
letter. If not, verify that the file is a valid virtual disk file.

I clipped the volume option and tried:

vmware-mount.exe x: LOUXPS.vmdk /m:w

I get the same results as before.

My virtual disk is one I created using VMWare 7.1.3 build-324285 from a physical machine.

0 Kudos
LouKur
Contributor
Contributor

I can mount using:
vmware-mount.exe X: LOUXPS.vmdk
OR
vmware-mount.exe X: LOUXPS.vmdk /m:w

But when I try to run vmware-vdiskmanager -p X: I get:
Failed to prepare the disk mounted at 'X' for shrinking.

Also get same errors with Windows Explorer with  drive mounted via vmware-mount

I have tried your suggestion of the /v parameter from another thread:
vmware-mount.exe X: LOUXPS.vmdk /m:w /v:2

I get:
Unable to mount the virtual disk. The disk may be in use by a virtual
machine, may not have enough volumes or mounted under another drive
letter. If not, verify that the file is a valid virtual disk file.

0 Kudos