VMware Communities
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

More IDE Drives than standard bios has (0:0 0:1 - 1:0 1:1) ?

Needing More IDE Drives than standard bios (0:0 0:1 - 1:0 1:1) has. Though I guess won't be able to add any since what the has bios has is what we get. Though post this in case there is a way or if need to get creative best bios editor for vmware bios and guide for doing this if there is one

Also any guide instructions of unstrapping the bios small dos screen. To one that is much larger to the height of the screen or even screen size of the monitor display again if possible to do

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Nope, all VMware products, all versions, have always only had a maximum of 4 IDE devices - 2 on channel 0, 2 on channel 1.  What are you using that you need more?  Both virtual hard disks and CD-ROM devices can be added as SCSI devices - and you can have up to 64 of those (or more, depending on product and version).

0 Kudos
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual HDD if use scsi for HDD

1. scsi to ide or ide to sci conversion or mounting problems with xp

2. Disk sizes I normaly use are from 1GB upwards using many vmdk disks with ws and player also offline for various projects. I would need xp to mount scsi naturally when I need to as can with IDE vmdk disks using xp os right context menu Map Virtual Disk and work with scsi as would do ide hdd

3. What known if any problems of using scsi in vmware and off-line usage with Win XP 1GB to 2TB (not been over 20GB as yet but never know may as well ask) (2TB as is the HDD limit for XP without messing with hdd overlay or other such)

OT.

Why vmware never went with sata so far which is a shame because if not all motherboards now have sata. Maybe because vmware sees NAS and other server end products as their breadwinner for profit. Do servers only have NAS, SCSI or do they also have SATA !! And if sata is the replacement for IDE (motherboards and drives) why not do same with vmware virtual products replace IDE with SATA though better would be have all three IDE, SATA and SCSI

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Zoid wrote:

OT.

Why vmware never went with sata so far which is a shame because if not all motherboards now have sata. Maybe because vmware sees NAS and other server end products as their breadwinner for profit. Do servers only have NAS, SCSI or do they also have SATA !! And if sata is the replacement for IDE (motherboards and drives) why not do same with vmware virtual products replace IDE with SATA though better would be have all three IDE, SATA and SCSI

Because the virtual motherboard is an Intel 440BX chipset, which existed before SATA was invented (and also USB bootable devices - also why no option for those).

0 Kudos
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

So Workstation is backwards for today motherboard for device support wonder why that is. Since would have thought they could write easily for better. Question still haunts us why hasn't VMware supported workstation more over the years for newer devices and capabilities. After all isn't virtual os meant to be the same a real os, it isn't they haven't had time over these many years to do this !

I looked up scsi and will need a  Bus Logic driver not included in the package so I won't bother since VMware hasn't bothered. That said maybe it is the scsi driver could mess the OS up or worse. I stick with limitation of 4 device and see about joining two virtual machines as one instead only for more IDE devices if even by using DOS with active DMA on a joined virtual machine.

Hard to imagine how many physical device I can actual use today not counting slow usb (no usb3 as yet). IDE, SATA and SCSI_IDE controller.

VMware we need more devices IDE and SATA update the workstation bios it is to old 440BX indeed that is a dinosaur by today's motherboards not something that is 15 years or older. Back then usb had just been born and started to appear on motherboards. It is now 2013 keep the workstation up to date with technology. Who ever VMware workstation chief is so far doing a bad job and needs replacing asap for someone that can bring the workstation more up to date in line with current motherboards we use.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... will need a  Bus Logic driver not included in the package so I won't bother since VMware hasn't bothered.

The driver may not included in the Windows XP installation image/CD by MS, but VMware provides it at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\Resources\vmscsi.flp with the VMware Workstation installation.

André

0 Kudos