VMware Communities
eSatie
Contributor
Contributor

Module 'VPMC' power on failed.

Hello,

i'm running the current version of vmware workstation 16.1 on windows 10, - system says that no updates are available.

Till this morning all of my vms ran fine, but after upgrading Visual studio 2017 community to 2019 community i get an error when trying to start any of the vms telling me: 

Virtualized performance counters require at least one available functioning counter.

Module 'VPMC' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

So no hardware changes or changes on the vmware workstation installation, - if i want to believe windows update: not even a windows update was installed.

When i turn of virtualized performance counters in the client vm settings, they start normaly.

But why are these virtualized performance counters are now no longer available?

Any idea about this strange behaviour?

Thanks and regards

SH

8 Replies
mgritter
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same problem today, with VMware Workstation 15.5.7 build-17171714, on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, on a Thinkpad T580, Intel i5-8250U.

A suspended image I hadn't restarted in a couple weeks wouldn't resume; I tried restarting Windows and ended up having to disable "Virtualize CPU Performance Counters" in the VM's CPU settings.

milindng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

May I know the version of Windows 10.

This error is coming if Workstation is running on windows 20H1, 20H2 and 10 21H1 .

With older version of Windows 10 this work. I am also getting same error.

ridtechnology
Contributor
Contributor

https://youtu.be/j7NKk3Z_daU

Here is the quick solution If processor settings are disabled in VM Workstation.

0 Kudos
dougdevlos
Contributor
Contributor

I found that Windows updates are constantly re-adding back Hyper-V modules.  

Once I remove that from Windows Features, things start working again.  

I don't have to play with the VMWare settings.

0 Kudos
SKhan2
Contributor
Contributor

if i have unchecked also then does have any effect ?

0 Kudos
rhinestroza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Same situation. Wthout any change on vmware settings. I execute from powershell on my host this command in order to unistall hyper-v form my recent windows update:

PS C:\dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V

My VMs start normally.

0 Kudos
ArchJoeD
Contributor
Contributor

You may find that some features will re-enable virtualization without indicating so in the "Windows Features" list.  If unchecking all the Hyper-V options still does not work for you, then check under "Windows Security->Device Security" for the "Memory integrity" feature.  The VPMC module will fail to start if that feature is enabled.

0 Kudos
rob4crow
Contributor
Contributor

Assuming that you have already uninstalled Hyper-V (Including the Windows Hypervisor Platform, Application Guard and such) and Virtualization based security is not enabled in msinfo32.exe, Intel DPTF (Power Management) in the bios may need to be disabled as well. Mind you some recommend against doing so as it could cause damage to your laptop. At the very least it will reduce battery life.

0 Kudos