VMware Communities
tireman
Contributor
Contributor

Module Patches for Workstation 7.1.6 for Linux 3.12.6

If anyone is interested.. I've managed to compile all the various vmware patches out there and put them into one set of patches here that allow Workstation 7.1.6 modules to compile and run under kernel 3.12.6. The fixes were compiled against stock modules from the workstation 7.1.6 build-744570 installer.

The only issues I have  is the init scrip for loading the modules under 2.6.39.4 no longer automatically loads them, I need to create /dev/vmnet* at each reboot and manually load vmnet-bridge to get the network going..

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tireman
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently the previous diffs I posted were done against modules I must have previously patched long time ago. I do apologize for the error and would have appreciated that someone been nice enough to let me know...

Attached are updated diffs that should work now against the stock installer modules.

To apply the patch, unpack for example using vmblock.tar:

tar xf vmblock.tar

cd vmblock-only

patch -p1 < diff-vmblock.diff

make

If you don't have a directory under /lib/modules/3.12.6/ called "vmware" to copy the modules into, you can create one as root user, and copy the .ko files into there.

You might had to run "depmod -a" to update the kernel's module maps to include the new vmware modules.

Again, these work against stock kernel 3.12.6 which I am running. YMMV against other kernel revisions.

Andrew

0 Kudos
HHCQ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your hard work.  I have not tested these personally, as I already fixed things up by hand, but I am sure that even your previous set of patches saved me considerable time.  If I need to rebuild the modules for some reason, I will try your second set of patches and let you know how they work.

0 Kudos