VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Missing VMware Tools settings dialog

I have just installed Workstation 9 and created a Window 8/64 VM.

After installing VMware Tools I could only find an icon in the task tray allowing me to either disable itself or terminate.

How can I set up VMware Tools to synchronize the VM clock with the host clock in Windows 8?

What after I disabled the tray icon? How can I access VMware Tools then in Windows 8?

Your help is appreciated.

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there not a VMware Tools applet in Control Panel? (I'm not at a place I can look at the moment.)

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, it seems to be missing:

Control Panel.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

thats a new feature of WS 9 : the GUI-toolbox has been removed

I miss the easy to use shrink function most of all

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I see...

Hmm.... So how can I set-up my guest to synchronize with the host clock then?

Any help on this is appreciated!

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just found it!

It has been moved from the guest OS to the VM settings dialog at the host:

VMware Tools.png

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I've noticed that in most guest OS (both Windows and Linux) the crippled VMwareTools is installed automatically as you can see from the VM drop menu whrn there is only an option to   reinsatll VMware Tools - not install VMware Tools as in WS 8 and earlier.  This seems a function of the haste in which WS 9 was rolled out -.  To me this is a case of marketing overruling    engineering.   Perhaps other functions of the old Tools will be moved to the  host as  well - My guess is that will be in WS 9.1 (which hopefully   VMware marketing won't consider a upgrade to  pay for.)

0 Kudos
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it's still possible from the command line via

vmwaretoolboxcmd

(usually in c:\program files\vmware tools)

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools>vmwaretoolboxcmd help
Usage: vmwaretoolboxcmd <command> [options] [subcommand]
Type 'vmwaretoolboxcmd help <command>' for help on a specific command.
Type 'vmwaretoolboxcmd -v' to see the VMware Tools version.
Use '-q' option to suppress stdout output.
Most commands take a subcommand.
Available commands:
   device
   disk
   script
   stat
   timesync
   upgrade (not available on all operating systems)
-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the shrink function has really changed a lot - in earlier version the part of the job that created the wiperfile was done while the VM could still be used if I remember right.

The new version locks the VM immediatly - not just for the second part of the job that has to be done by the host - so watch out - you may need lots of time to shrink a VM.

0 Kudos
VM0Sean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know if they reverted it, and although I am very unimpressed with the loss of functionality the command line seems to work exactly the same.

There's a text bar that wipes the drive, then after the wipe it locks the VM while shrinking only.

However it doesn't shrink as well as it used to.  I took a VM which was previously shrunk to 1.8GB.  Copied in some files, installed an application, and deleted the files. Total space inside the VM difference is 50MB.  Even after defrag and cleanup and shrinking it's now 2.2GB.

Sigh.

0 Kudos