VMware Communities
ymg2020
Contributor
Contributor

MikroTik RouterOS boot speed is drastically slow

Hello,

Thanks to the new release of Vmware 16, the overall performance of most guests is noticeably improved; however, if you download OVA file of the MikroTik RouterOS version 6.46.7(Long-term) from https://www.mikrotik.com/download and open it on windows 10 2004 -no matter the Virtualization Based Security (VBS) is on or off-, you will feel the boot and running speed is comparatively lower than version 15, you can run the very same virtual machine 5 times until v16 boots it once.

Thanks for any consideration.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Starting with 15.5.5, VMware Workstation/Player uses a user level monitor (ULM) to run VMs when it detects Hyper-V is installed on the Windows host.

https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/vmware-workstation-now-supports-hyper-v-mode.html

This is indicated by the vmware.log entry

vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: ULM

As it is user level and going through Hyper-V APIs at the host Windows OS, it can be expected to be slower as it has to go through additional layers before getting to the CPU virtualisation features.

If the Hyper-V feature is removed from the Windows host, the traditional ring 0 VMM is used. And the Mikrotik VM should perform at the same level as versions 15.5.2 and earlier. This is indicated by the vmware.log entry

vmx| I005: Monitor Mode: CPL0

ymg2020
Contributor
Contributor

I really appreciate your answer, I read the link you have provided but a question bothers me: How can windows and linux run faster than before although an other linux based guest cannot?

I tested it with Oracle VirtualBox since they have not adapted to Microsoft new Virtualization Based Security (VBS), so it cannot run Windows virtual machine, surprisingly it works flawless for linux and also for the MikroTik RouterOS as well with the same performance. Further more QEMU is working fine, I will change this particular VM to QEMU.

Thanks but it would be great for vmware to investigate and fix this issue. Thanks.

arvie_1978
Contributor
Contributor

I had been tried via turn on off features in Windows 11 pro to disable 3 components. there are hyper-v, hypervisor and virtual pc and restart my PC but it is still happening. I used i7 12700h, ram 32g, vmware 17 pro to start CHR in vmware. it needs 5 minutes for CHR show up their login picture. Before that,  i never had this issue with i7 8th 16gb.

Please VMware fix this issue. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Simply turning off Windows features is insufficient. If you check the vmware.log file and see a line starting with "Monitor mode" set to "ULM", you have not disabled all of Hyper-V.

You need to disable memory integrity in Windows Settings,

Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation

and then totally disable any attempt to use Hyper-V technology by running the following in an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

The problem didn't exist in an 8th gen i7 chip because starting with the 12th gen chips, Intel introduced performance/efficiency cores. IMO Windows hasn't really caught up to how to assign its tasks to those processors in certain types of applications (or hasn't exposed how to do that very well to applications).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos