VMware Communities
sinclairj
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate workstation pro 12 license to new hardware with workstation pro 15

Hello Team,

I wanted to move my vmware workstation pro 12 license to new hardware with latest vmware workstation pro 15 version. My plan is install vmware workstation pro 15 on new hardware and then export and import VM from existing workstation to new hardware with latest workstation version.  But I am not sure about how to move license to new hardware.

Will same license work on new version ? I will shutdown old setup once VM got migrated to new server with latest workstation version. Please guide with correct procedure.

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Your license works with any build of the same major version (12.0.x, 12.5.x, etc.)  To upgrade to version 15, you need to purchase a new license.

You don't need to export/import the virtual machines - just copy the entire folders to the new computer.  Do make sure the guest OS's are all powered OFF - NOT just suspended!

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You have to buy a license for version 15.

Then copy your old VMs to the new computer and open them with the new version.

0 Kudos
sinclairj
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all, what is I wanted to migrate with same version on new hardware. How can I manage license in this case. Is it like install same version on new hardware, apply same license serial key, migrate VM's and shutdown old setup. Please correct me and help me with any ref link for steps.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, you can install the old version with your old license on a new PC.

Note that Workstation 12.x is not officially Supported on Windows 10 hosts, and you may run into issues.

0 Kudos