VMware Communities
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft OS licensing on VMware Workstation

I know this discussion has been had many times but I have been unable to find any current 2011/2012 discussions.

For business with Volume Licensing and Software Assurance where a True Up occurs once a year how are OS licensed when running as a guest in Vmware Workstation and the OS is for testing purposes. So no e-mail, etc.

I would really like to conisder Workstation 8 as a solution for some testing outside of our R&D/Q&A dept. So that some of our users would be able to launch a VM of a MS OS to be able to test an issue, once they are done the VM is turned off. Another issues arises, they download and launch a virtual image and test.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is detail aout Microsoft Licensing Affects VMware Environments, I belive you will find your answer from here ..Have a look..

http://www.dabcc.com/article.aspx?id=1546

abirhasan 
0 Kudos
pdegroot
Contributor
Contributor

I'd suggest you start by downloading an evalutation version, which is free, but time-bombed (180 days)

You could also get a subscription to Technet, which is not very expensive, Unlimited access to MS software for evaluation and testing purposes.

Paul DeGroot

Principal Consultant

Pica Communications

"Solving the Microsoft Licensing Puzzle"

Principal Consultant Pica Communications "Solving the Microsoft Licensing Puzzle"
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, that is true, I would also suggest that you use an evaluation copy of windows. This will allow you 180 days of free use of software (any version:from standard to datacenter) plus you can re-arm (reset) your evaluation up to 2 times which in total is ~540 days.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
BrennanB
Contributor
Contributor

A majority of the users that I would like to use Vmware Workstation now  have Technet subscriptions, I'm going to try and find Technet subscription info to back this up, thanks for the info!

0 Kudos