VMware Communities
htoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Merging VMDK failure: vmware-vdiskmanager quits with error 0x3e80

On WS 15.1.0 host=Windows 10 guest=Windows 10, attempting to merge split vmdk files w10.vmdk, w10-s001.vmdk ... w10-s011.vmdk with this command:

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -r w10.vmdk -t 0 w10-new.vmdk

It fails with this message

Failed to convert disk:  One of the parameters supplied is invalid (0x3e80).

The vm files are all normal.  For example, vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -k w10.vmdk  or  vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -d w10.vmdk  executes without error.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't use version 15.x myself, so this is more of a guess.

What I think is that the adapterType "pvscsi" may cause the issue. Does "pvscsi" show up as valid adapter type (option -a) when you run

vmware-vdiskmanager -h

What may be worth a try, is to backup w10.vmdk, then change the adapterType to "lsilogic", and run the conversion with the modified header file.

I assume that you have sufficient free disk space to clone (that's what the conversion actually does) the virtual disk.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have a good reason to create a monolithic virtual disk? I'ts basically up to you to do so, but IMO staying with split files have several benefits (less disk space needed for compacting, can easily be increased, ...).

Anyway, please attach the w10.vmdk descriptor file to a reply post to see how it looks like.

André

0 Kudos
htoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for having a look at the descriptor file

(some identifiers have been randomized)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't use version 15.x myself, so this is more of a guess.

What I think is that the adapterType "pvscsi" may cause the issue. Does "pvscsi" show up as valid adapter type (option -a) when you run

vmware-vdiskmanager -h

What may be worth a try, is to backup w10.vmdk, then change the adapterType to "lsilogic", and run the conversion with the modified header file.

I assume that you have sufficient free disk space to clone (that's what the conversion actually does) the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
htoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Incredible, it worked, like black magic!

I just had to change:

ddb.adapterType = "pvscsi"

to

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"

Why or how this works is a mystery. Now, I must change pvscsi to lsilogic, merge, then change it back.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Glad that works.

That's probably something that Mikero​ may consider to put on the ToDo/ToFix list for an upcoming patch.

André

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Thanks André.

We _could_ patch that... or we could just implement pvscsi in Workstation   ‍♂️

I guess both would require a patch... Consider it noted 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos