VMware Communities
mory
Contributor
Contributor

May corrupt filesystem in Guest when parent vmdk having streamOptimized type

Hi,

I'm wondering for a long time why guest filesystem sometime corrupt.

(Often occured when remove temporary snapshot,)

But now, I found a cause.

When one or more of parent snapshot's vmdk had streamOptimized (current snapshot's vmdk is ordinary monolithicSparse), it is very dangerous.

If Windows 10 Guest with parent having streamOptimized, defrag C: & chkdsk C: /f & shutdown -r -t 0 will/may report filesystem corruption in event viewer.

Reconvert all of parent snapshot's vmdk type from streamOptimized to monolithicSparse, above commands works fine without filesystem corruption.

(Tested on VMware Workstation 11.1.4.)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The streamOptimized variant of the monolithicSparse VMDK-type was never meant to be used like that.
It was designed as a space-efficient form to move large VMDKs from one platform to another.
At the time it appeared the vmware-vdiskmanager tool was still functional so occasional errors were fixable.
Nowadays small errors in monolithicSparse often result in a complete loss - so be careful.
Dont use streamOptimized for anything else but transports. Even here I would rather zip what you have in regular use - and try to avoid this format completely.

0 Kudos