VMware Communities
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maximum number of virtual IDE or SCSI drives?

I have 6 Virtual Machines (call them client machines) which each have unique Virtual IDE Hard Disk. For a number of reasons I find it best to connect all these virtual hard disks to a single "Master" Virtual Machine which performs some database magic, then close the master VM, then open the segregated "client" VM's and run my system.

I find that when I configure my master VM the fifth virtual HD can not be connected in it's origonal IDE format, but appears/converts to SCSI. Similarly if these virtual disks are configured as SCSI, the fifth HD appears/converts to IDE. It seems that there is a limited number of slots for each device type.

Is there any way to increase this number? Can I expect a problem flipping back and forth?

Many thanks in advance.

k

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A VM has max 4 IDE-drives and max 60 SCSI-drives.

There is no magic conversion - if you see something like a "magic type conversion" you are doing something really strange - please explain

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the 5th slot my drive which otherwise was built as IDE appears as SCSI. But when I reconnect it to my "client" VM it is identified as IDE.

I suspect from your response that I woulkd be better off building all my virtual hard disks as SCSI?

Many thanks

k

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - handling many SCSI-disks is easier. Only if you have really heavy load in your VMs I would stick with IDE-disks

VMware-liveCD:

kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why is IDE more efficient for high load applications?

Thanks again

k

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - sounds strange and unexpected.

You may want to search the forum - recently some folks had problems while running database apps on virtual SCSI-disks - switching to IDE-disks solved this. I don't have a link right now - last seen that post maybe one month ago

VMware-liveCD:

kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice.

k

0 Kudos