VMware Communities
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Max memory limit and VM tools Longhorn 2008 - Windows 2008

I have been using vmware workstations since V 4

I downloaded VMware Server 2.0 beta yesterday and tried to run in my Win Vista SP1

It was dammn slow......

Today I tried Vmware Workstation 6 in the same box, its superb - so far.....I'm happy. Longhorn loads very fast.....and quick......with just 512 of RAM

My machine config is: HP Quad Core Intel Pavillion Elite m9047c with 3 GB ram and 500 GB ( 7000 RPM sata drive - I hate this......)

I finished installing Windows 2003 SP2 and Windows 2008 Enterprise server.......

Fantastic......runs smooth......

I allocated 512 MB for 2008 EE server and fantastic......runs fine......I see even it has created its own virtual RAM and virtual memory is over 1 GB.....fantastic

Now, I have two questions

a) as my PC has hardware memory of 3 GB with vista can see it......BTW, my vista is Home Ultimate......so, I guess it can show only 3 GB memory limit

Now, I know this machine ( hardwarewise - can take up to 8 GB of memory )

If I put more physical memory to this box, can vmware take that memroy.....I mean can vmware see 8 gb memory ( from out of the box - hardwarewise ) so that I can assign more memory.....to my guest OSs......

I have a feeling that I can do that......

b) the VMTools are still very swappy to Windows 2008 EE Server ( longhorn ), ? Any new versions available ? to download ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

If I put more physical memory to this box, can vmware take that memroy.....

No. VMware Server / Workstation / Player can only use the amount of memory the host OS is able to use.

0 Kudos
himal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is no good....

So, even my box can take 8 GB of external or physical memory, I cannnot tell vmware workstatins 6 to use those memory if I'm using Vista Home Ultimate....

As the vista has limit of 3 gb ???? Or 4 gb ????

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

this is no good....

Workstation is more or less a "normal" application and depends on the host OS capabilities.

Either get a "better" Windows version or switch to a less limited OS like Linux.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want to be able to address more then ~3.2 GB of Physical RAM in Vista, then you will need to install a 64-bit version of Vista.

You weren't clear on exactly what version of Vista you have (there is no "Home Ultimate" version), but even the most restrictive 64-bit version of Vista ("Home Basic") supports 8 GB RAM. Other 64-bit editions support more than 8 GB RAM.

It sounds like you already have a license for one of the Vista Home editions, so verify that your system can support a 64 bit operating system and then order the 64-bit installation DVD from the following web site for a nominal fee: . (Note that "Vista Ultimate" already includes both 32-bit and 64-bit installation DVDs in the box)

BTW: VMware Workstation 6.x runs great on Vista 64 bit.

Also -- Vista SP1 was recently released. If you have not installed it already I recommend doing so as it includes many fixes and performance improvements.

0 Kudos