VMware Communities
eroberer4u
Contributor
Contributor

Max Memory for VMWare Workstation file that I can read?

I figured I'd ask this here before trying to break open VMWare WS, so you guys are always so helpful. 😃 I'm wondering, is the max memory limit for VMs written in any readable file that I can open and read with a script?

I know that the various guest OS VM's have their .vmx files, and I'm currently reading those and parsing for the memory that they will take up. I'm wondering if the whole VM WS application itself has a file like this, or if I can determine it somehow. I'm using the VMWare VIX API to script some things, and this overall max memory limit is something that I'd like have to make my script more intuitive.

Thank you! 😃

0 Kudos
3 Replies
eroberer4u
Contributor
Contributor

A few additions:

1) I'm using VMWare WS 6. How could I forget?

2) I'm looking for the place where "Reserved Memory" is stored, in some kind of configuration file. Hopefully this config file will not have to be read as root, though...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No, there's nothing of this sort... remember, you can have hundreds of virtual machines created/configured, but only run 1 or a few at any given time.

Individual guest settings are stored in their vmx files. Workstation 6 has no limit on total RAM used by all running guests - unlike older versions did.

0 Kudos
eroberer4u
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I see. I grepped through my VMWare install directory and I couldn't find anything that showed the "reserved memory limit." (I grepped for 3373, which is what mine is set at.) Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos