VMware Communities
CWBillow
Contributor
Contributor

Mapping to a Windows 7 VM

I set up a Windows 7 VM, so that I could set up Office on it, leaving my main machine without Office directly installed, and yet able to access and work on Office documents.

've been writing anything I do on the VM to a flash drive so that I can then transfer or access it from my host.

I was trying to set up a mapped drive to the VM. Since I am the only one on this machine, and I have no linked drives or snapshots to contend with, I wanted to set it up with write access, but it will not let me.

When I installed Windows 7 (on the host and o the VM) it sets up a 100 meg or so partition for its own use. If I set the VM to have write access, it maps to the 100 meg partition, and not to the main VM partition with all the files on it.

Is there a way to fix or get around this problem?

Regards,

Chuck Billow

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why don't you use the Shared folder feature.

Go the the Virtual Machine settings and then options tab. find the shared folder and change it to always enabled and then add a path on your host for your guest.

Thanks,

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ernestsaadat
TimPhillips
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you are using Workstation 6.5.x, while Windows 7 is fully supported only by Workstation 7, which now is RC.

Also, if you will face with troubles while using shared folders, I can offer you to take a free iSCSI target (i recommend StarWind, I`m sure that it perfectly works on Windows 7), make a target disk in it, and import it to VM using buit-in Windows iSCSI initiator.

0 Kudos
CWBillow
Contributor
Contributor

Although I can use sharing, and I was initially just researching the option, I can easily see uses for this capability, but also problems (or restrictions) with the mapping that I need to understand.

Regards,

Chuck

0 Kudos
CWBillow
Contributor
Contributor

Tim, that might be it. iIs there access to the RC as yet?

Chuck

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Workstation 7 RC

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
CWBillow
Contributor
Contributor

Tobias your link takes me to my own question.

Is there a (9downloadable) VMware for Windows 7?

Chuck

0 Kudos