VMware Communities
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mapping a virtual disk didn't work in WS8 beta; still doesn't.

I thought I'd download a copy of WS8 to give it a trial run on a spare laptop to see when/if I upgrade. First thing I tried was to see if an issue I reported in the beta was fixed. The issue I reported was a hang when trying to map a virtual disk. Well, it doesn't hang anymore (and shows as mapped in the VM dialog), but the mapped drive doesn't appear or open at all, which makes the feature pretty pointless. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? My expectation is that if I do what VMware calls "map" (but I understand to be mount and map) a virtual drive, I should be then able to open such a mapped folder in Windows explorer and browse it, right?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sounds like you use a Windows 7 host ...

on Windows 7 the map function is a major pain unless you disable UAC and start WS and Explorer as administrator

just had the issue on a customers machine - with UAC on it was impossible to acess the mapped drive

Transilvanian
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich bin bis einschließlich den 27.09.2011 nicht im Haus und habe keinen bzw. nur eingeschränkten Zugriff auf meine E-Mails. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Mails nicht weiter geleitet und eventuell nicht bzw. mit Verzögerung bearbeitet werden. In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an die Zentrale unter der Telefonnummer: +49 7485 9991-0

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, running Win7 x64 host with UAC enabled.

Even running Workstation as an administrator doesn't seem to help (other applications can mount drives without issue - Acronis, TrueCrypt so I wonder why it's such a feat on VMware?)

FYI - disabling UAC is not desirable. For me it seems the feature is functionally useless then. A downer, but not a show stopper; I can always view the contents of the virtual disk by running the VM, of course.

ps/ I can't speak/read German but I think that other response is an out of the office message!. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos