VMware Communities
c022upt
Contributor
Contributor

Managing VM's with Remote Desktop

Hey guys and gals I've been using VMWare Workstation for a while now

but have finally decided to set up several VM's one one box and just

just RDP connections to manage them. Here is my setup.

Box 1 (Windows 7 Primary OS)

VMware Workstation with Backtrack 4 VM

Box 2 (Windows XP SP3 Primary OS)

VMware Workstation with Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server, and Linux Mint VM's

Windows XP - 192.168.1.100

Windows 7 - 192.168.1.101

Windows Server 2008 - 192.168.1.102

Linux Mint - 192.168.1.103

Backtrack 4 - 192.168.1.104

Windows Server 2003 - 192.168.1.105

Here

is my issue. I can easily remote desktop from box 1 to box 2 (both

physical computers). What I can't do is remote desktop from box 1

(Windows 7) to a VM on box 2 such as Server 2003 or Server 2008.

Remote

desktop is enabled on all VM's. I can remote desktop to both Server

2003 and Server 2008 from box 2 (the box that the VM's are

located...the XP box).

All VM network adapters are set to

bridged and I have confirmed that they all have their own routable IP.

Remote desktop is enabled on all computers and Windows firewall is

configured to allow RDP traffic. I am only trying to remote desktop to

these VM's from my LAN not from a remote computer on the Internet but I

cannot get from Windows 7 to either Server 2003 or 2008.

Is there a known issue with Windows 7 and RDP connections to VM's? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

on Windows 7 hosts we often see issues like that - do you use other crappy software like Norton or Symantec ?

Some Antivirus software blocks some traffic without telling you so.

By the way - did you already disable the "automatic bridging" in Virtual Network Editor" - it only works in some very rare cases

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
c022upt
Contributor
Contributor

Hey continuum, thank you for your reply. I am not using Symantec or Norton on any hosts or VM's. However, I am using AVG Free Edition. Through experimenting I have found that remote desktop is enabled and will work from the host machine to the VM as long as they are located on the same physical computer. I copied the Server 2003 and Server 2008 VM's over to my windows 7 box and it will connect just fine...again because they are now located on the same physical machine. I am thinking that my problem lies in my Linksys router or possibly another firewall...AVG or windows firewall.

I am not familiar with "automatic bridging" within Virtual Network Editor so I am going to look into that right now..The only changes I have made to the VM's networking config is in VMware Workstation choosing VM>Settings>Network Adapter and changing it from NAT to bridged. I do not have the "Replicate physical network state" option checked.

Any additional assistance will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
c022upt
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, through further experimentation I have found that I can successfully remote desktop from my XP box to a VM on my Windows 7 box but not the other way around. In other words, everything is working fine except that I can't remote desktop to any VM located on the Windows XP host...from any computer on my network. I have tested with my latptop (windows XP) and my other desktop (windows 7)..neither of which can remote desktop to a VM located on the XP box. I made sure that the Windows firewall was allowing RDP connections on port 3389 but I'm not sure what else could be preventing me from accessing the VM's.

The crazy thing is that I can remote desktop directly to the XP box just not the VM's located on it...even though each has its on IP address. I'm sure it is something simple that I am overlooking. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Are you sure you do not have a host only or NAT based virtual network setup?

Moved to the VMware Workstation forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization_Security_Round_Table_Podcast]Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The crazy thing is that I can remote desktop directly to the XP box just not the VM's located on it...even though each has its on IP address. I'm sure it is something simple that I am overlooking. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Confirm that the Guests on your XP Host are set for Bridged networking (not NAT). Confirm that the Guests have RDP (Remote Desktop) Enabled. Then to rule out name resolution as the problem, try to start a RDP connection to the IP address that your Guest is using.

If the above doesn't help, check to make sure you have the latest NIC driver installed for your Windows XP Host. Then try (temporarily) disabling any "Task Offload" or other "offload" settings for the NIC properties on your XP Host to see if that helps.

0 Kudos