VMware Communities
als77
Contributor
Contributor

Manage physical ESXi from Workstation nested vCenter

Is it supported to manage physical ESXi nodes from a Workstation Pro 16 nested vCenter, running on a Workstation Pro 16 ESXi VM?

I have two Workstation Pro VMs, ESXi 6.7 and ESXi 7.0, each with a same revision vCenter (e.g. 6.7.0 & 7.0.1). The vCenter's are nested and each running on the like version Workstation Pro VM.

I have two freshly installed physical ESXi servers running 6.5U3, which is interoperable with the indicated vCenter versions, but I can't seem to register these physical hosts on either of my Workstation Pro nested VMs.

The "Add Host" workflow fails right after providing the ESXi 6.5 server root credentials. 

This is where generally the user would be prompted/presented with the ESXi servers certificate and have to click "YES" to "replace the host's certificate with a new certificate signed by the VMware Certificate Server and proceed with the workflow."

I never get the "Security Alert" pop-up regarding the certificate, it just times out after proving ESXi server credentials.

I validated an external/physical ESXI/vCenter (e.g. not nested on my Workstation Pro) can "Add Host" these physical ESXi servers, so it doesn't appear to be a physical server issue, but something with either Workstation Pro or supporting Windows 10 based laptop.

I know from the Workstation Pro nested vCenter (VCSA) root shell I can ping the remote/external physical ESXI servers, and I can "curl telnet" to ports 443 and 902.

Any idea what I am missing? Is this supported?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
als77
Contributor
Contributor

Further analysis, it appears my Workstation Pro nested vCenter is failing with "openssl".

The command "openssl s_client -connect 10.10.100.12:443" does NOT work from my nested 6.7 vCenter (10.10.100.110) but it does work on my external/physical 6.7 vCenter (10.10.100.21).

So "openssl" is not allowed either by Workstation Pro or Windows OS.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos