VMware Communities
tslbla2020
Contributor
Contributor

Make a backup-to-disk while VMs are running

Hi,

we use VMWare Workstation Pro on several web developer workstations.

We are interested in backing up the running VMsm using VMware integrated tools/functions OR external software tools.

Are there integrated functions we can use to export the full VM while it is running/online?
Or is there another (commercial) software to make a snapshot from outside?

I read that for VMWare's server edition (licenced) there could be purchased a separate tool to make a backup-to-disk from the running VMs. But we use only the "Workstation Pro Edition" (licenced).

Is there such a backup tool (from another software company) for "VMWare Workstation Pro"?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have a look at Vimalin: https://www.vimalin.com/

It was created by a VMTN user/moderator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

IMHO:
Scott's reply would seem to be your best bet if you are hosting on Windows or Mac. I don't think there is a version for Linux (my host). 
If you just copy all the files while the VM is running, that would be somewhat similar to dropping power on a hardware machine, with the exception of disturbing a file write operation. None of the cached stuff would be written. I guess one could create restore points and then do the copy with the fallback of using them if necessary. Maybe even create a VM snapshot and then remove it afterwards, you might have to remove the lck stuff. Seems somewhat labor intensive to save a few euros.
FWIIW, I have no affiliation with the author, but have a lot of respect. Since I use Linux, I have no experience but have always heard  good things.

-- Lou

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

There is indeed no Linux version, would love to add it as well as I've been a Linux user for many years, but for the moment it is out of scope.

Can't recommend making manual copies while the VM is running. It won't give you a very reliable backup, not comparable to pulling the plug on a running machine. There's just too much that can go wrong.
The VM might not even boot, parts of the VM can go missing etc..
Search the forum for "unable to open file "  and you'll see some of the horror things that happen.

If you have any questions about Vimalin then drop me a note at support@vimalin.com and I'll be happy to answer them.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
tslbla2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your feedback.

Does VMWare Workstation Pro for Windows have an own export function? Like - for example - most database management systems - where you can configure a backup job and then the software generates an export file (sometimes it is a special file type, not a general/public file type/extension, it is propriate). But the export file contains the whole vm and you can use it to restore the vm when is has crashed.

An integrated backup/export function would be OK.
I don't need an external/separate standard software tool.
But result should be: A single file which I could copy to another hardware resource (backup device, maybe our backup-fileserver or an USB hard disk).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Stop your VM and export to OVF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can create an OVF file via menu "File" -> "Export to OVF", but you cannot schedule it, the VM must be shut down and it won't be automatic. Personally I don't see much of an advantage over that instead of making a manual copy.
Personally I do prefer the manual copy of the VM over the OVF format as it is 'yet another thing that can go wrong" (again, search the forums).

Completely understand "not wanting to use an external tool", but Vimalin is the only backup solution I am aware about at the moment, unless you want to resort to an in-guest solution where you backup at file level.
In the end it is your choice. I do not think that VMware is going to offer backup built in, as it would divert their attention from the core product. But you never know if that will happen.

PS: You can use Vimalin for free if you want, but the scheduling options stop working after 60 days, manual backup and restore will continue to work though and I have no intention of removing that from the free version.

Slightly obvious disclaimer: I am the author of Vimalin.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos