VMware Communities
Odinnshred
Contributor
Contributor

Mac virtualisation firewire PCI passthrough help

I have a problem that I perceive to be complex but I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

I am a musician (my DAW is Logic Pro 9) and I have finally got the Mavericks operating system to work within VMWare Workstation 10 (host OS is Windows 7). Most things are working/tolerable.

However, I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 soundcard that is only connectable via firewire, and I am using the appropriate PCIe card.

This soundcard installs and runs perfectly within the host OS, as it should. All prospective output sounds from the Guest OS (Mavericks) do go through the soundcard, and through the speakers, and the volume can be controlled by the volume knob.

However, the Guest OS doesn't recognise that the hardware (the soundcard) is connected at all, and outputs sound considering it as "Built-in Output", which probably then goes through Windows which has the soundcard connected.

Being unable to access the connectivity features of the soundcard, I am unable to properly record audio through it and there are often very unpredictable issues with latency/syncronisation.

I am aware that Guest OS' in Workstation are supposedly unable to support firewire, however I have heard wonderful things about passthroughs etc, but after much research I have been unable to find any relevant results.

Could a firewire PCI passthrough be a possible solution?

Thanks in advance for any relevant insight on this issue, I'd love to finally have my setup working smoothly.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

VMware does not support the running of OS X under VMware Player/Workstation!

Also, running legally virtualizable versions of OS X in a Virtual Machine may only be done when done on Apple-branded hardware and when done while running under OS X and for that you need VMware Fusion not VMware Player/Workstation otherwise you're violating the Apple SLA for that product.

Therefore no help can be provided to you for OS X in this use case scenario as it would violate VMware Community Terms of Use to do so.

edit: Wil van Antwerpen, added link to terms for clarity

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Adding a couple of carriage returns while copying/pasting my written words is still plagiarism! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

But you write it soo good WoodyZ! 🙂

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos