VMware Communities
bjtimmy
Contributor
Contributor

MKS connect error with vm.fault.GenericVmConfigFault since 15.5.6

Hi all,

Since version 15.5.6 I get an error vm.fault.GenericVmConfigFault with MKS connect to a remote instance of VM Workstation Pro.

Both instances run on Windows (Windows 10 vs. Windows 2019 server).

All VMware-Services are running on both machines, and there is no entry in the event log regarding the case.

Removing and reconnecting the server didn't help.

I changed the port from 903 to 902 as usual, but that didn't help.

Any idea? Is the MKS fix with the port change obsolete?

Interestingly I am able to connect to a Workstation 15.5.5 on another Windows server without problems and with the same configuration.

Might be the same issue as reported for Ubuntu?

Greetings

Bernd

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sure it is. I and another Windows user responded in https://communities.vmware.com/message/2956744 that we have the same issue. I'm having it with Windows clients connecting to CentOS host.

I'm not too pleased that we haven't gotten a response beyond "Yeah, we know this is happening."

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Would you please make sure both the client and server side use VMware Workstation 15.5.6 and try if can still reproduce the issue? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would you please make sure both the client and server side use VMware Workstation 15.5.6 and try if can still reproduce the issue? Thanks a lot

Sorry, but that isn't the environment within which I'm having the problem. I'm having an issue connecting to Workstation v12.5.9 build-7535481 running on a CentOS v7.8.2003 host. I have read nothing that states that this is not a supported scenario. This scenario worked fine until Workstation v15.5.6, thus something was changed that broke this.

If you want instances of people having the exact same problem with v15.5.6 on both ends, then take a look at this thread. In that thread I've provided logs and indicated where the problem occurs within them. The logs state the client is attempting to connect via WebSocket when connections of this type are disabled. Seems like a pretty good indicator of where the problem is.

2020-06-13T02:28:28.704-07:00 info hostd[7F4CA72C9700] [Originator@6876 sub=Solo.Vmomi opID=ccd532fe user=XXX] Result:

--> (vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault) {

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [

-->       (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) {

-->          key = "msg.mks.webSocket.enable",

-->          arg = <unset>,

-->          message = "WebSocket connections are disabled for this virtual machine."

-->       },

-->       (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) {

-->          key = "msg.asyncsocket.generic",

-->          arg = <unset>,

-->          message = "Asyncsocket error"

-->       }

-->    ],

-->    reason = "WebSocket connections are disabled for this virtual machine.",

-->    messageInfo = (vim.vm.Message) [

-->       (vim.vm.Message) {

-->          id = "msg.mks.webSocket.enable",

-->          argument = <unset>,

-->          text = "WebSocket connections are disabled for this virtual machine."

-->       },

-->       (vim.vm.Message) {

-->          id = "msg.asyncsocket.generic",

-->          argument = <unset>,

-->          text = "Asyncsocket error"

-->       }

-->    ]

-->    msg = "WebSocket connections are disabled for this virtual machine.

--> Asyncsocket error

--> "

--> }

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Pheckphul:

We are sorry to brought the issue to you. Is that possible to upgrade your Workstation v12.5.9 to Workstation v15.5.6 on CentOS Host? I tested on my environment and the result shows it works fine if both Client and Server also run with Workstation 15.5.6.

0 Kudos
Pheckphul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are sorry to brought the issue to you. Is that possible to upgrade your Workstation v12.5.9 to Workstation v15.5.6 on CentOS Host? I tested on my environment and the result shows it works fine if both Client and Server also run with Workstation 15.5.6.

Sorry, no, else I would have. The processor isn't supported by v15.

0 Kudos
dejanrodiger
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos