VMware Communities
Mac5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MAC address problem with new images

Whenever we create an image on the VM we get the same MAC address for the virtual NIC - 00-0C-29-58-B7-BE. This causes problems with DHCP which keeps giving the same IP address to all images since they have the same MAC.

System Setup

Our VMware version is: 6.0.4 build-93057

Our image is: XP Professional & SP2 from MSDN ISO image

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Speaking frankly I have never faced this problem.

I have this crazy thought:

When VMWare creates a VM it probably updates a hidden counter (just my wild guess) from which it calculates MAC address of your next VM. If it cannot update that counter then you are stuck with constant MAC address.

My proposal will be to completely erase VMWare, wipe all its traces (in the registry too) and reinstall the latest stable version of it. (currently VMWare 5.5.8 or VMWare 6.0.5).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If it's a bug in VMWare then you can simply edit your VM configuration file (manually using e.g. notepad) and set MAC address of your choice.

ethernetX.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:XX:XX:XX" where X can be any digit from 0 to F (hex notation).

Mac5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Birdie, I should have mentioned that we are already doing this, I am just trying to get a proper solution.

Do you think this is a bug?

Ian

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Speaking frankly I have never faced this problem.

I have this crazy thought:

When VMWare creates a VM it probably updates a hidden counter (just my wild guess) from which it calculates MAC address of your next VM. If it cannot update that counter then you are stuck with constant MAC address.

My proposal will be to completely erase VMWare, wipe all its traces (in the registry too) and reinstall the latest stable version of it. (currently VMWare 5.5.8 or VMWare 6.0.5).

0 Kudos
Mac5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will try the upgrade I think cheers ... BTW do any VMWare Support people

every look at this community, I wondered if they could confirm if this

is a known bug or not?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

BTW do any VMWare Support people every look at this community

Quite rarely.

Mac5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading the the latest version sorted this thanks, looks like it was just a bug with my original version.

Cheers, Birdie.

Ian

0 Kudos