VMware Communities
strangeed
Contributor
Contributor

Low video quality in workstation 16 pro running a windows 10 VM

I recently spun up a Workstation Pro 16 VM running Windows 10 pro for office applications for a particular client. I am experiencing audio and video issues when using Microsoft Teams for calls within the VM.

Audio appears choppy and crackly, and the video output has noticeable lag and visible scan lines. These are not present when I use the respective devices outside the VM.

Advice for troubleshooting this would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a known issue. Please plug the USB devices to USB 2.0 port on physical machines, and change USB controller to USB 2.0 from vm > settings > USB controller. Then connect your USB device to the VM and try again. Let me know if it works for you.

0 Kudos
strangeed
Contributor
Contributor

As the camera (Logitech StreamCam) is a USB-C device I am currently waiting for an adapter to plug it into a USB-A port. Will this issue be fixed at some point? I seem to have the same issue with my USB connected headset, though it is less affected if there are no other processes running.

Another issue I have now encountered is that the USB-C camera is not turning itself off when not in use. Is there any way to address this?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, we are definitely working on this issue and we have made good progress internally. But I am not supposed to tell about the detailed time. Sorry about that. For USB headset, plugging to USB 2.0 port and using USB 2.0 controller for the VM is also a workaround.

0 Kudos
strangeed
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to follow up on this issue. I still have audio interruptions, even when the USB headset is plugged directly into a USB2.0 port on the host machine and the VM is limited to USB2.0.

Are there any other steps I might attempt?

0 Kudos
voyager7
Contributor
Contributor

HI Bonnie,

Anything that you can share about this one? I'm running into the same issue and using a USB 2 port just isn't an option.

Terry

0 Kudos
strangeed
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve only been able to solve the audio issues by purchasing a Jabra headset. Some of their products register as a sound card rather than a headset through their usb dongle, which seems to solve it. This was also confirmed by the VMWare engineers I’ve been in touch with.

For video I’m stuck using a usb 3 to usb2.0 converter.

0 Kudos
lasponger
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the necro on this post, but it's almost 2 years later and v16.2.2 is still having issues with video (camera) and audio smoothness and glitches..  Windows 11 Pro host and guest, logitech webcam.  works perfectly fine when connected to the host machine, but connecting it to the vm and the video looks like it's about 2 fps. My new motherboard doesn't have any usb 2.0 ports, only usb 3.1 gen1 and gen2.  I've already tried changing the usb compatability on the vm itself (2.0, 3.0, and 3.1) with no success.  I've also tried both the physical 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2 ports, same thing.  

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get this working?  I need to use it for Teams meetings in the VM.

0 Kudos
strangeed
Contributor
Contributor

It seems odd that even setting the VM to only work with USB 2.0 controllers did not at least partially solve your issue. I'm still running it this way. I use 3.1 ports, it's just the VM sees them as only being 2.0. I have had to change the microphone and headphones I use. Best results are either through something that still uses an analogue audio connection, or something like a Jabra system, where the USB dongle is configured to appear as a sound card rather than headphones.

voyager7
Contributor
Contributor

It was really a quality issue for me. I was connecting to internal folks as well as customers and could not justify "almost". Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
lasponger
Contributor
Contributor

So, I was able to resolve the audio with my usb headset by changing the settings in teams, so that was an issue on my end.  but the video issue is still there.  watching youtube, etc on the guest is fine, it's only when using my webcam that the video is glitchy and choppy, none of the various usb settings were able to resolve that.  It is an older usb logitech usb, so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and go get a newer one and see if that fixes it.  I was hoping there would be some sort of fix though.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Tony_Goodhew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suffering the same problem with the video (audio is fine) - Has anyone worked out a fix/workaround? My device is a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 - I'm completely open to getting a new camera if that fixes the issue and anyone has suggestions

0 Kudos