VMware Communities
alexferro
Contributor
Contributor

Low speed for a Fast Ethernet on WinXP over VMWorkstation 5.5.1

Hi,

this my configuration:

Kernel 2.4.32

ethernet NIC r8169 (10-100-1000 Fast Ethernet)

VMWare Workstation v. 5.5.1

WinXP Prof over VMWare

I probe to change the "normal" speed from 10Mbit to 100Mbit of Windows NIC interface (named AMD PCNet Family) but without success.

How can I change the speed of NIC to 100Mbit?

Thanks, Alessandro

0 Kudos
21 Replies
dmair
Champion
Champion

@ The OP: To get back on topic I'll repeat the question that led to this diversion...

Is there a real reason you care that the guest NIC reports a capability of 100Mbps rather than 10Mbps. Are you thinking that the guest only has access to 10Mbps because the guest NIC only claims 10Mbps. Experience and information from VMware engineers suggests that the VM NIC's claimed capabilities are only a regurgitation of the capabilities of the NIC that is being emulated and are not restricted to that capability. IOW, you will very likely get the same performance as you would if the VM claimed it had a 100Mbps or 1Gbps NIC - you'd get performance influenced by the physical NIC the guest is using.

0 Kudos
p3rk
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed something similar, in the discussion of the guest being throttled for network traffic compared to vm 4.5.

On a win2k host system with vm 4.5, I had installed Fedora Core 4 and we used it in our labs to demonstrate a network attack against a target system. After upgrading VM to 5.5.3 running the same Guest, updated to match 5.5.3, running the same tool fails to overload the target of the tool.

What specific info would you need me to post to help diagnose what might be going on to limit the vm network traffic. The Guest is using the bridge network and the target system is a non-VM system.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos