VMware Communities
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lost snapshots during upgrade?

During a recent upgrade, workstation seems to have lost track of my snapshots. They are still there in the directory, but the manager is saying there is no snaps.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Check Ulli's page at VMware Continuum - powered by phpMyFAQ 2.7.8  He's a master with snapshots and virtual disks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The snapshots are tracked in the VM's .vmsd file. Please check whether this file is empty, or corrupted.

If nothing (regarding snapshots) has changed since your last backup, it may be an option to restore this file from the backup.

André

0 Kudos
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is no file with that extension. The complete list of files is:

C.vmdk

C-000001.vmdk

C-000003.vmdk

C-000004.vmdk

TVM.nvram

TVM.vmx

TVM.vmxf

TVM-Snapshot2.vmsn

TVM-Snapshot3.vmsn

TVM-Snapshot4.vmsn

TVM-Snapshot5.vmsn

0 Kudos
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bump

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not quite sure what answer you are expecting.  As Andre said, the snapshot states are stored in the *.vmsd file, so if your VM folder no longer has that file, then the snapshot manager will not be able to display any snapshots!  Restore that file from a backup.

0 Kudos
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The snapshots are the backups, There never was a vmsd file. Is it possible to create one? Is it possible to fold the snapshots back into the primary?

Why is it that all my VM's lost their snapshots when I upgraded? Is this documented somewhere, I didn't see any notes about this happening, or that I had to delete the snaps prior to the upgrade...

Not sure what options I have now.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Check Ulli's page at VMware Continuum - powered by phpMyFAQ 2.7.8  He's a master with snapshots and virtual disks.

0 Kudos