VMware Communities
sws907
Contributor
Contributor

Lost full screen in Ubuntu guest after upgrade to 12.5.5 Workstation Pro on Windows 10.1

After upgrading to Workstation Pro 12.5.5 the display in my Ubuntu 14.04 guest no longer sizes properly.  I get scroll bars along the edges of the guest window and need to move around to see the contents.  I can change the display size within the Ubuntu settings to fit, but I lose about 30% of my screen real estate.  I downgraded back to 12.5.4 but the problem persists, so it may be with the Ubuntu tools loaded with 12.5.5.  Any suggestions on how to get full use of my display back?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sws907
Contributor
Contributor

I also lost the ability to create file shares.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I am on 12.5.5 and have an Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit EFI guest VM. I installed the VMware tools the old way (i.e. vmware-install.pl) and but I have installed only tools from 12.5.3.

Have you confirmed that your View - Autosize is set to Autosize Window and Autofit Window?

Try unselecting the "Autofit Window" and reselect the "Autofit Window" and then set your VM guest to the desired resolution.

Sorry I don't have any tip for the file sharing (yet).

0 Kudos
Chops42
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to Workstation Pro 12.5.5 on Windows 8.1, running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, I too lost the full screen as well as shared folders.

I re-installed the vmware tools, VMwareTools-10.1.6-5214329.tar.gz, then shutown the VM and rebooted.

The full screen came back functioning, but I sill cannot get shared folders to work again.

I tried to roll back to the vmware tools VMwareTools-10.1.5-5055993.tar.gz, but NO luck.

At this point I cannot get shared folders to work.

Any ideas? Or how can I roll back to the previous version of Workstation to resolve!

0 Kudos
sws907
Contributor
Contributor

That is very interesting.  I also reinstalled VMwareTools-10.1.6-5214329.tar.gz, then shutown the VM and rebooted.  However, I got file share back but not full-screen.  I would like to find a download site for the latest version of VMware tools but have found one yet. 

0 Kudos
Chops42
Contributor
Contributor

After trying to reinstall VMwareTools-10.1.6-5214329.tar.gz, I noticed I was seeing "Unable to start services for VMware Tools" at the end of the install.

So, I took a drastic approach.

1) Uninstall the VMware tools using the vmware-tools-distrib/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl

2) Removed VMware folders from /etc, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib

3) Killed any VMware processes

4) Reinstalled the open-vm-tools

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop

5) Install VMwareTools-10.1.6-5214329.tar.gz

After all that, I was able to get my full screen and shared folders back working.

0 Kudos
sws907
Contributor
Contributor

I tried your steps and was not successful.  I finally gave up and just built a new Ubuntu VM from scratch, needed to upgrade to 16.04 LTS sometime anyway.  All is working well now after a struggle with file shares.  Thankfully most of my projects were on GitHub Smiley Happy

0 Kudos