VMware Communities
PhantomAM
Contributor
Contributor

Losing connection to servers

I am running Windows 10 with VMWare WorkStation Pro with a single ESXi 5.5 host as my only VM on WorkStation. I have 2 VM's running in ESXi, they ran fine until about 2 hours ago. I thought it might be CPU or RAM but it is neither since both are below 15% usage on the Windows 10 Machine and less than 40% on ESXi. I have tried rebooting the ESXi VM multiple times and it allows me to connect for a few minutes then dies out on me. I am thinking it might be because I am running 2 VM's inside ESXi but when I test the single VM is does the same thing but cuts out after about 20 min instead of 2 or 3 min.

Ideas on what might be happening here?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you allowing promiscuous mode on the port group on the nested ESXi host? I believe this was a requirement for nested on nested to work.

0 Kudos
PhantomAM
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am, it is working to some degree it is just degraded for some reason. I was thinking maybe ESXi had a cache that was not clearing or something like that.

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tested it without promiscuous mode as well? I'm interested in knowing if it's required on a 5.5 host for nested VM's to communicate. I only say that because I've never had to turn PM on, but I've only ever nested 6.x hosts.

0 Kudos
PhantomAM
Contributor
Contributor

I will test that tomorrow when I get back to the office.

0 Kudos
PhantomAM
Contributor
Contributor

Tried it this morning with no luck. Seems to be a connection issue in some way now I have looked more into it.

0 Kudos