Enthusiast

Loooong launch times [VMWare 6.5.5]

VMWare 6.5.5 Build 328052

Host OS: WinVista Ultimate all updates

Host RAM: 8GM

Internal HD: 500GB/100GB free 2.5" laptop drive

Guest OS: WinXP all updates through 12/1/2012ish

Guest RAM: Unknown

Guest HD: 80GB created from previous 80GB HD several years ago. 

Guest observations: Been working fine... until ????

When I decided to use my 80GB Guest OS today I noticed that I needed to restart the OS via the VMWare restart link.  I clicked on the link and the Guest OS started fine.  It's been about 45 minutes and we're still working away!!! Vista TaskManager shows vmware activity of 2-5%ish.

CPU is currently 33%ish with 68% memory allocation and no file transfers taking place via the Host or any Guest OS.  Only this Guest is 'running'.

Normally (when I really need to use the 80GB Guest OS), it takes about 5-10 minutes for a launch and everything to go to the Desktop splash screen.  I'm concerned that there's an issue here... maybe a loop, maybe a retry of some repair issues etc. on the Guest OS. I'm not sure what was being done on the Host OS or the Guest OS that could have generated this issue.  I have McAfee AV which is up-to-date so viruses should be ruled out.

Just let it run or what would you suggest?

Attached is the last VMWare log that was available DURING the processing.  Nothing has been added for about an hour ....

TIA!!!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Normally ..., it takes about 5-10 minutes for a launch ...

This looks like you are a very patient person. Personally I would already be concerned if it took longer than ~1 minute!

Unfortunately the log file you provided is truncated, but it looks like you have a floppy disk drive and a CD-ROM drive connected. Open the VM's settings to see whether this is the case and uncheck the "Connected" check box to see if this already helps.

As a second step, ensure all virtual machine files (*.vm*) are excluded from being scanned by McAffee. If you want/need to scan the VM for viruses, do it from within the guest OS.

André

total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre!

Thanks for the suggestions.  The log file being truncated was truncated at the end because that's the last of the log file that I had available.  I can include the previous portion if necessary but the VM image appears to start fine and then go to the black screen and still be processing.  After I submitted the question I was thinking that maybe the VM image expanded and it's fragmented.  Don't know and don't know how to tell/correct.

Relative to the CD and floppy I've just kept them there.  With the launch being fine earlier and I had the CD and floppy drives I don't think that this is the issue.

Other ideas?  Do you want the entire log file???

TIA

PS: Here's some additional log entries with the first entry being repeated from the Log file I originally included as an attachment...  Note: It's now 40-45 minutes past the time of the last log entry....

Jan 04 15:22:20.018: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.537 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:22:42.599: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.195 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:22:48.487: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.504 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:23:09.793: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.531 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:23:21.907: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.537 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:00.023: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.550 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:05.583: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.543 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:11.615: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.185 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:18.018: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.841 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:28.858: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.777 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:51.268: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.584 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:24:56.472: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 1.160 seconds (ok)
Jan 04 15:25:03.298: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 2.008 seconds (ok)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Relative to the CD and floppy I've just kept them there.  With the  launch being fine earlier and I had the CD and floppy drives I don't  think that this is the issue.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want you to remove the drives from the VM's settings, but only uncheck the connected checkbox for them for troubleshooting and to rule out possible issues.

With all the "WRITE" entries in the log file, it might also be a good idea to run "chkdsk C: /f" (which will require a reboot) to ensure there's no issue with the disk/file structure.

André

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre!

Do you want the chkdsk on the Host or Guest?  I'm still awaiting entry into the Guest!

Do you sense some HD issues?  Host or Guest?

TIA!!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The WRITE entries in the log file are related to writes on the host, so this would be the one to check. If you want - later on -you can certainly run this command in the guest too, that's never a mistake.

André

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre!

Well.. I solved the issue with your help!

Here's what I did after discussing the situation of my entire laptop with another tech person.  On an issue with other software, they suggested that I just reboot and retry.  So, I  powered down the VM image as a last resort after closing out all of the other open apps/windows etc.  There were about 20+.  I then did a restart and the first thing I did was to launch VM Workstation with the 'problem' image.  I got into the image in about a minute or so.  I also turned off the CD & floppy recognition at startup time to reduce that impact, per your request.

So,  it appears that the Vista laptop memory even at 8GB was probably fragmented and hence not totally usable for Workstation.  My guess is that some of the larger Excel files I work with taking more than 32MB per file may be the memory fragment hog.

At any rate... problem solved!  Thanks for YOUR help!

Have a Starbucks on me!!  😉

I will also run the chkdsk per your suggestion some looooong evening!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos