VMware Communities
Rubberlugs
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like Vmware workstation 15 is exiting service on ubuntu 16

Hi,

I have installed vmware workstation 15 pro, 15.0.2 build 10952284 on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-45-generic. It worked fine on install, I could see Vmware listening on port 443 and could connect from other machine. On reboot I find I can no longer connect or that the service is listening.

I've tried reinstalling and different ports, a look at services seems to show it should be starting:

~$ service --status-all | grep vmware

[ - ]  vmware

[ - ]  vmware-USBArbitrator

[ + ]  vmware-workstation-server

From what I can see something is causing it to exit, if I am reading this correctly:

~$ systemctl list-units --type service | grep vmware

vmware-USBArbitrator.service                          loaded active running LSB: This services starts and stops the USB Arbitrator.

vmware-workstation-server.service                     loaded active exited  LSB: This services starts and stops the Workstation as a Server daemon.

vmware.service                                        loaded active running LSB: This service starts and stops VMware services

I've looked through the logs and I'm not seeing anything obvious, has anyone else experienced this that can give me a pointer? When I run workstation as sudo to check preferences > Shared VMs, I get "unable to connect to the workstation server. please ensure that the server is running and that you are authorized to connect"

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iRunner2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please try to execute the following command in terminal?

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-workstation-server restart

If it succeeds, you can see "Starting Workstation Server:    done"

Then try to execute "ps -ef | grep hostd" to see whether vmware-hostd is really running.

If hostd is not running, could you please follow the steps below to help us collect logs?

1. Clear files under /var/log/vmware

2. Manually execute "sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-workstation-server start"

3. Upload files hostd*.log  cin /var/log/vmware

0 Kudos
Rubberlugs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

hostd wasn't really running after sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-workstation-server restart.

I found the cause of the problem was the volume that I pointed workstation at for shared VMs was not mounting on boot, my error. Thanks for your reply, it helped point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
iRunner2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smiley Happy You're welcome! I'm very happy my answer helped you.

0 Kudos