VMware Communities
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Long Mode not working

I am evaluating the 30 day trial of Vmware WorkStation 7.  I have virtualized by Windows 7 computer and created a VM in WorkStation 7.  However, I cannot run the VM.  I get an error message that says that long mode is disabled and a VM with 64 bit code will not run.  Is this a limitation of WorkStation 7 or a limitation of the 30 day trial version or something else.  Can someone explain to me what is happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zed34
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar issue...but I will post that in another topic.

Firstly, go into the Advanced menu of your BIOS

Select teh Advanced TAB

CPU Configuration

Use the down arrow and highlight these -

Execute Disable Bit - Set to Disable

Intel Virtualisation Tech - Set to Enable

F10 to save and reboot.

When it reboots, press the power button so it shuts off completly. It needs to do a cold boot.

Once back up, you should see the VT-X and EM64T instructions supported by your CPU. Check this with a tool called CPU-Z here http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.58-setup-en.exe

Try and run your VM again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

thread New Page for "File a Technical Support Request" to VMware Workstation

In order to run 64bit guests you must enable VT inthe BIOS of the Host OS

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please see javascript:;.

Also, if you go to VM->Settings (Processors) and explicitly set the preferred mode to "Intel VT-x or AMD-V," you will get a more informative error message.

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy

I looked in the BIOS of my real computer (Host) but could not find anything that resembles the letters VT.  Can you explain in a little more detail what I am looking for.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can check the document jmattson provided which will also have a link to see if your CPU is VT capable.

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I burned ts.iso to a CD and a DVD.  However I could not boot up to either one and the boot up process continued on until it booted Windows 7.  To verify that the BIOS would select the CD player to boot up first I installed a WinPE disk into the CD player and it booted right up.  So for some reason I cannot boot up the ts.iso.  

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you provide us the details of the CPU on your Host OS?  Vendor and Family

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alann wrote:

Troy

I looked in the BIOS of my real computer (Host) but could not find anything that resembles the letters VT.  Can you explain in a little more detail what I am looking for.

Look for "Virtualization Technology."  It is probably under either CPU Settings or Security.

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I looked everywhere in BIOS for Virtualization Technology and could not find it.  I guess I am at an impass.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

anything like Advanced Settings?  Your CPU supports VT-x so it should be there...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What is the vendor and model of the PC?

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iBUYPOWER i-Series 502

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you upload the vmware.log file from you vritual machine's folder?

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is vmware log file.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to your vmware.log file, VT is disabled by the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jmattson:

I looked in the BIOS but do not see a way to enable VT.  I'm wondering if the BIOS has simply permanently disabled VT.  Does that seem logical for the BIOS to permanently disable VT?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"Does that seem logical for the BIOS to permanently disable VT?"

Some computers (such as the Sony VAIO line) have done this, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.  That's why I asked earlier what the make/model of your PC was.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alann wrote:

I looked in the BIOS but do not see a way to enable VT.  I'm wondering if the BIOS has simply permanently disabled VT.  Does that seem logical for the BIOS to permanently disable VT?

It's been known to happen.  Sony does it on their VAIOs.  I wouldn't say it's logical.

If you can't find a way to enable VT in your BIOS, you will not be able to run 64-bit guests on this system.

Have you tried contacting technical support at iBUYPOWER?

0 Kudos
Alann201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've learned a little more about this but I don't know if it helps.

My motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Deluxe.  In the User Guide it shows the TAB in the BIOS (Advanced Tab) where I can find the button to turn on VT.  The guide also says that the features listed on this TAB can change based upon the CPU installed.   I downloaded an Intel(R) Porcessor Identification Utility and it shows that the processor I am using (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K) supports VT.  So the question is why doesn't the BIOS show this feature show up under the Advanced Tab.  Good question.  So now I need to find the answer to this question.  I will try to contact ASUS and iBUYPOWER to see if they can answer this question for me.

0 Kudos