Logitech BRIO Webcam Not Visible To Guest

I am running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.  I have my webcam operational here:

$ v4l2-ctl --list-devices

Logitech BRIO (usb-0000:08:00.0-2):

/dev/video0

/dev/video1

/dev/video2

/dev/video3

Under my Windows 10 guest, this webcam is not visible at all.  Some of my other USB devices are.  I have the guest's settings set to support USB 3.1.  The cam is plugged into a USB3 socket.

I use the cam for Zoom.  Is there something I may be missing?  With Windows 10 as a host, the cam was visible and usable without issue.  I copied the same guest configuration that I originally used under Windows 10.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also attempted to install the Linux Zoom client under Ubuntu, but it fails to install due to missing dependencies.  Some dependencies are not compatible with 20.04.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Were those "dependencies" anything to do with you running in a VM, or are they specific to Linux?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The dependencies are specific to Linux Zoom app.  They have nothing to do with Ubuntu or VMWARE in general.  VMWare is executing perfectly under Linux.  I am just missing support for my USB Webcam under my Windows guest.  As previously mentioned, Windows host has full support for it, so something is missing for my Linux host.

I installed guvcview under Ubuntu Linux, and my Logitech BRIO is fully operational and functional.  Ubuntu Linux has support for it.  My question is why is this support not shared with my Windows guest?

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Zoom from the Firefox browser directly is working with my cam under Linux.  I have a work-around for now.

I still would like to use my cam under my guest OS too.

0 Kudos